Power Supply...uhh...not really problems...but problems

Kalgatha

Fully Optimized
allright...theres nothing wrong with anything as far as i know. but i just got my new motherboard in (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136159#DetailSpecs) ok well...i get it in and take out my old one yada yada yada then i go to plug up the power supply and...my main power supply...thingy...that goes to my MOBO has 20 pins...and it needs 24 apparently...well....i need to know what to do. buy a new power supply? if so what kind? is there some kindof adapter for this? thanx everybody

you have to get a new one its not so bad... how long u have the psu? if u could return or sell it it would b better. wat wattage u have on it?

You can still plug it. It will work. i've seen it done, but it's preferably good if you just buy a 24 pin PSU. Like that, you won't have trouble. Glad that you got a new mobo! :D

its a 500 watt that came with my MGE viper case but its been a pretty good PSU, but because it came w/ my case i doubt i can take it back. what kind of PSU do i need? just a 24 pin? do they sell em just 24 pin or is there sumthing that i need to know other than that? lol don't know allot about the PSU so all the info possible is good thanx again

pertty much same as getting a regular psu just get it to b 24pin and make sure wattage is wat u want.

You mean something like this?

drivetop4s.jpg

This is better:

atxtoatx12v.jpg

http://www.power-on.com/connectors-adapters.html

The motherboard has that extra 12V plug there for a reason though so I'm thinking you have to use it or your computer won't run properly. Otherwise, what's the point of adding the little 4-pin plug in the first place? If your power supply is a piece of crap, invest a newer one with the 20+4 pin for your AMD motherboard. Otherwise, go for the adapter.

Wait, I thought we were just talking about the one rectangular ATX connection, not the square 12 volt one. If your power supply doesn't have that either, I suggest getting a nice new power supply. But yeah, if you do have the square connection, you can just use that Aspire adapter to convert from 20-pin power supply to 24-pin motherboard.

yes my PSU has the square power connector thingy, and its a pretty decent PSU...gotten no trouble from it at all. and i just spent 575$ on the new MOBO and HDD and EVGA 7800GT :D so i really don't wanna spend a 80$ or so so i think ill try the adapter....just one thing...my dad went to circut city today and they told him that the adapters fry things...is this true? or are they just trying to get you spend more money? thanx guys

Back
Top Bottom