help i think my cpu doesnt work!

Gamingfreak

Fully Optimized
ok i recently posted a thread about a dell computer and how i put a new cpu in it, well as that didnt work i took it out and put the orriginal one back in so now its working and i put the new cpu in another computer, anyway that computer now doesnt work so i think the cpu is broken am i right? or is there a simple reason why it wouldnt work?

It could be that it simply doesn't work, yes, but are you sure also that the CPU is compatible with the motherboard from Dell, and also that other system?

I'd advise you double check, and then replace the chip. Nothing else can be done I'm afraid.

ok well im certain that it should work with the other system so the cpu must be broken so i guess im gona have to contact intel

well couple of things. CPU's are fragile, which means that a static charge could have blown it from the begining, if you live in a place with low humidity then this is possible, it is important to equipt your self witht eh right tools and knowlage before builing or updating a computer. in your case i would have suggested an anti static wriste band. but see as how there is already CPU difficulties then thats a little late.

you may want to check and see if all the pins are straight on the CPU, if its a significanlty better cpu then also check and see if your heatsink is good enough and that your thermal pads are fine. typicly when installing a CPU and heatsink its one of those things you do once. check your memory and check your bios, good luck and be sure to post if this didnt help (although i hope it did). ooo and finally (it could just be that it doesnt work, it doesnt happend often but it might have).

im quite certain that its the bios because i went from the old core to the new prescott core and its quite an old motherboard so i'll try updating the bios tomorrow, but that means i have to switch the cpus AGAIN, comps can be really annoying sometimes lol

he said the CPU didnt work in two different machines, but the machines work them selves individually (with a different CPU) mis read on my part...i think? idk im out of this issue

It could be the BIOS I guess, but it ould also be the CPU just not being compatable with that motherboard. Though again, A bios update may be worth a shot.

well the dell is pretty old but the motherboard on the other machine is a asus p4s800 which says it supports prescott cpus so i think a bios update should do it, if not then i need to get another one

yes, the mobo BIOS need to support Prescotts unless it says it is Prescott ready out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom