Net send -- trying to figure it out

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
recently ive been trying to play around with net send. i type this into the cmd prompt:

NET SEND {friedman9984 | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} "omg alert"

but when i type that in, nothign happens. friedman9984 is someone logged in on the same net work as me. shudnt this work?

it needs to be enabled on the other computer, i think its in admin tools..or maybe system and you need to be a system admin, just download a free LAN IM, much easier to use.

Maybe your admin disabled it, but even on a network where it was enabled I couldn't get it to work either.

You could try the msg command instead (IIRC it only works on XP and up). Type it in to the command prompt and it'll tell you the arguments.

I tried it and it works every time - you can even message yourself, sadly enough.

It should work becuase that used to happen at our old school because we were all one one network, even the teachers and i sent round hi im steven, think of the shit i got into. try just the basic
net send * Hi
see if that comes through and if it does try the user thing again, but it looks like it has been disabled.

This site might help you a little that i have just found:
http://www.lantalk.net/net-send-command/

mayorredbeard said:
recently ive been trying to play around with net send. i type this into the cmd prompt:

NET SEND {friedman9984 | * | /DOMAIN[:name] | /USERS} "omg alert"

but when i type that in, nothign happens. friedman9984 is someone logged in on the same net work as me. shudnt this work?

You should be doing "net send [computername] message", aslong as the Messenger Service is enabled on the other computer (check in services.msc), they will be able to receive the messages. You cant send to certain usernames with net send, just a computers NetBIOS name.

Back
Top Bottom