Linux wont detect 2nd HDD

Natalya1

Daemon Poster
heys guy!

well just like the title says, linux wont detect my 2nd HDD. i installed fedore core 4 today on a spare pc i had at home just for the sake of it. This pc has 2 HDDs. The 1st one had windows on it, the 2nd on purely for all my media files. I overwrote my windows with linux, and when i look for my 2nd HDD in 'computer' i cant find it.

any suggestions as to why its doing this?

thanx so much

Nat

This is a hard one, does windows detect the drive, and is it all setup in the bios and everything. Also how is the drive connected to the computer? Sata or ide? Becuase the version of linux you are running may not currently support sata. Get back to me with those answers and ill have another look for you,

If i helped rep point please.

Steve ;)

windows detected it with no problem. Its conected via IDE, primary slave. and i can see it in the bios. nothing has changed since i had windows on the machine.

thanx for trying to help me =)

Go to System tools in Linux. Select HDD management. Now, Looc for something like hdb. format it and your second HDD is good to go :D

Hey, that was what i was looking up becuase i have never used linux before except once on my laptop, that was a crap one to.

but i dont want to format it! it has all my media on it! is there no other way ?!?!? =S

You were using XP right, if so:
The pronlem is that the and HDD is formated in NTFS. Linux can't detect that format. it would be the same way if you had windows and a Linux formated(don't know the kind of format) as a 2nd HDD. Windows wouldn't detect the 2nd HDD.

What you need to do is backup those files and format in whatever extension Linux needs. I don't think you can convert the kind of format without deleting everything on it, but there might be a way that i don't know about.

have a look in /mnt/ to see if your 2nd hdd is there and then if it is you will have to burn all the files to cd/dvd and then reformat it. Linux can read NTFS but not write to it

You CAN mount that HDD in linux, BUT, its quite dodgy as you have to use wide open umodes, but if you know that the HDD's dev device address is, mount /dev/hdXX -o umask=000 /mnt/media .. Has worked for me in the past, aslong as NTFS support is either loaded via modules or compiled into the linux kernel.

Back
Top Bottom