CPU Help

MikeReiner

Golden Master
I need some serious help on what to do here.
It's as simple as this: I don't care for desktop crap, I want a system that performs VERY well in games, i'm referring to the CPU part of it.
I keep being told intel is more stable and reliable and better for other things as well, but all i want is gaming, I couldn't care less how well it can run excel.
What is the better choice here?!?! Amd, Or Intel?

Edit: Blah, I just found a load of threads similar to this, sorry!

AMD definitely. There are benchmarks all over the place and some on here if you can find them. Get the Athlon 64 X2 4800+. It owns.

Thats what I thought, hopefully i'll soon have enough money to get a system put together.

Any AMD line will do nicely for gaming. I just happen to point out the most expensive one, lol. The Athlon 64 FX series is also excellent as far as gaming CPU goes. For those of us that can't affor those, we just get the Athlon 64's. They work very well.

my best friend has one with a BFG 6800GT OC vid card and 1.5Gb of RAM, he can max out all games thrown at it so far and they run fine. to name a few...HL2, BF2, COD2 demo, Quake 4, Doom 3....they're good cpu's for the price

It runs @ 2GHz stock, but keep in mind the stability factor too. The higher you OC, there's a good chance it may crash on you. I've had mine running at 2.6GHz for awhile, but random errors start popping up and my CPU temp was running way hotter than normal. I reduced it down to 2.4GHz where I'm running now. Better to keep the 3200+ at 2.2GHz and work up slowly from there.

Well, for me, since i'm REALLY paranoid, i'm going to buy a new hs and fan along with arctic silver 5 to cool the cpu better.
however, I will not OC, i'm just too paranoid, I just don't think the extra jolt of performance is worth the risk of possibly breaking a cpu I could
never afford to rebuy any time soon.

Hopefully i'll have a new system in a few months, i'm thinking i'll go for an eVga GeForce6800GT.
i've seen them in action, and I am impressed.

Back
Top Bottom