Good Media/Gaming Setup suggestions

lherring81

Solid State Member
I am getting rid of my old laptop and am thinking of gettin a desktop setup. I want to through away my old tv set, which is like a 26in rear projection Wal-Mart special, and have a flat panel lcd moniter as my tv.

Any suggestions on what kind of desktop I should look for? Also wanted to know that if I had my tv cable hooked up to my desktop's video card, would my computer have to always be on for me just to watch tv,aka, go through the whole boot process for windows media center? I also wanted to know what is a good setup for gaming, just games like BF2, Guild Wars, The Sims 2. Those type of graphic demanding games.

I am currently looking on ebay for something like a 24inch screen with a powerful desktop. I have a p4 processor on my laptop and it is soooo loud. Should i go with pentium d or an amd processor??

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Lindsay

If you build your own then, For gaming a 6800GT would do nicely and I would not splurge on a 7800GTX or GT since they Cost Lots and you will have to buy a TV tuner if you play on watching TV on your PC. For a CPU I would go with @ least an AMD 3800 X2 but a 4200 or 4400 would be healthy. You will want a good TV tuner; I suggest a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500 MCE White box WinTV-PVR-500MCE. For a PSU I would go with a $80 case (since they are usually good at that price) and a 450 watt psu.

i am gonna try not to spend over 900 on the pc. I was planning on buying a dell or sony vaoi or finding a used pc off of ebay.

can anyone go more in depth on how the windows media center works as far as turning on the moniter and watching tv

Back
Top Bottom