Can't connect...

cheeseman222

In Runtime
After reinstalling my winxp earlier today (after getting raped by spyware and lsass attacks) i managed to get sp2 on by burning it to a disc on a seperate computer and installing it in safe mode. Everything looks like it's up and running but i can't connect to the internet at all. Under network connection Local area network says it's recieving and sending packets and sometimes right after i restart computer i can connect to the internet for about 5 seconds before it stops, also i can't enable the windows firewall (wont let me :() I do have avast! and Outpost up and running though. Does anyone know anything i could do to get my internet connecting again?

okay, i uninstalled then reinstalled my network card. still not working, what it does do is it says web page found when i try to connect and then after about 30 secs it just says page unreachable. Does anyone know of a virus scanner that i could burn to a disc and scan my computer then just remove? (like panda or trendmicro) but it has to be burnable because i cant connect to internet. :( Or if anyone knows anything else at all i could try that would be great!

Edit: used avast to scan and got a few things off now, still no luck though.

not a virus scanner, my other computer on the network does that too... it's cuz its been restricted to the internet access somehow... i dont know much about networks so i cant even fix my own problem, BUMP

Thanks for replying, I've made a bit of progress and got rid of a ton of virus/trojan registry entries (if it matters what they are, just ask) When i try to connect to the internet now it just freezes at "detecting proxy settings." Also it won't let me enable the sp2 firewall (I think that was something caused by a virus that was on before. I am going to try uninstalling then reinstalling sp2 I think in about 15 minutes. If anyone can give me a quick solution before that it would save me a lot of time :).

Okay, i uninstalled sp2, still can't connect so far but quite a few "new hardware found" things came up. That has to be good atleast. If anyone knows how to unrestrict my internet access that would still be great though (my LAN is definitely connected it says it's sending and recieving.) But i can't open up any websites at all, or msn or anything :(. Help would still be great.

Are you connected to a router? If so, try typing in 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 in your browser. If it doens't work, then it's most like a networking issue between the router and the network card. Do you have the drivers for your network card?

Back
Top Bottom