AMD help

golf_addict73

In Runtime
Well i'm buying an AMD processor....but i'm not sure if i should spend the extra $50 and get the 3200+ compared to the 3000+......how much of a difference would this makke...or should i just stick with the 3000+.....any and all insight would be nice

Just got my PSU and case
thermaltake Soprano Mid tower-black w/ side window
Thermaltake silent purepower 480w

The 3200+ is just 200MHz faster than the 3000+. You can always save $50 and get the 3000+, then OC it to 3200+ level. No biggie there. Then again, $50 more on a faster CPU is not bad either. You can clock it even higher. If it's the Venice core you're referring to, the difference isn't too significant in my opinion. If $50 is hard to come by, get the 3000+, otherwise, get the 3200+ because it is faster.

well....If i do overclock....how high could i get it with this setup:

Thermaltake soprano case
thermaltake silent purepower 480w
ABIT KN8 Ultra socket 939 NVIDIA nforce4 Ultra
AMD Athlon 3000+ processor
Corsair valueselect 1GB(2x512) DDR 400
HITACHI deskstar 80GB SATA HDD
Geforce FX5200

I only have stock cooling.....2 120mm fans and 1 90mm fan......if i overclock the 3000+ what kind of cooling should i get for more cooling(if needed) I want this to last a while also....please let me know what i should buy in order to keep my case to a good temp and how exactly i would go about overclocking

u should be able to get the cpu to at least 2.4GHz u have more than enough fans on ur case the only thing i would do is get a zalman fan for ur cpu and make sure its an all copper one

That thermaltake has better than average cooling compared to most cases. In my opinion, by the most expensive CPU you can afford. It is obvious why the 3200+ cost more than the 3000+ because it is faster. You can overclock a 3200+ more than a 3000+. I would say a good 2.4GHz on stock cooling. Anything higher I would suggest some type of aftermarket cooling but you can probably get it to like 2.7GHz or so. You do that in the system BIOS by raising the CPU bus and messing with the multiplier.

so now.....if i can afford the 3000+ so thats what i'm gonna get.....now if i want to get it up to 2.7GHz what kind of aftermarket cooling do you think i should get.....any info will help alot.....other than the all copper zalman cpu fan what should i get....

do you think that my motherboard will be good enough to get me up to at least 2.5-2.6........I really wanna make this as fast as possible but need to know what kind off zalman fan to get(specifics) along with what other types of cooling i should get to overclock this higher

For the 3200+, yeah it's a possiblity to get it up to 2.7GHz. For the 3000+, that's a huge jump and a lot of work for that little CPU to push. I doubt it can handle that speed. If we increase the CPU bus to 270MHz and leave the multiplier at 10X, we'll have a 2.7GHz CPU if you can get it stable enough. How high does the multiplier go anyways before being locked? Isn't it like 11X? You can try reducing the mulitplier and increasing the CPU frequency higher. Push the voltage a little bit more.

That motherboard is pretty good for an overclocker. You can use this big ass fan for the CPU:

ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Copper Heatsink - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118115

The reason why that is most effective is because it has the fan speed controller and it's just so huge. How could it not cool properly? Water cooling is perfect for those extreme OC rates. I'm not familiar with setting one up though. Too much for me. For the 3000+, try and OC it to 2.4 GHz. That should be a good enough range with that Zalman cooler.

well i really only need it at like 2.4 or 2.5......what kind of zalman CPU fan should i get and what do you think would be a safe place to overclock it to........I'm gonna try it without overclocking first and then overclock if i feel i need some more speed.

Back
Top Bottom