PLEASE help me... (need expert)

cheeseman222

In Runtime
Alright, heres my full story, i was cleaning up some folders yesterday, just general maintenance. When i turned on my computer this morning i got the message "NTLDR is missing. press ctrl alt delete to restart" when i press it, the same message comes up again. So I put in my windows XP reinstallation disk, went to "install windows xp" then instead of clicking install fresh copy i went to repair copy on there so it started to say deleting a bunch of system files on the bottom corner and then it said installing a bunch of system files afterward, after that it opened up the full screen thing it does and said it's starting to install windows xp (as in a whole new copy.) I turned it off as soon as it started that. Now when i turn on the computer without the winxp install disk in it does the loading screen (sp1) then it just goes to a black screen (i can just move the mouse.) If i boot with the install disk in it starts to continue winxp installation. What i need to know is if i let it continue installation am i going to lose all my families documents and all my stuff in program files and everything, and is there any way at all i can save them (3 gb of pictures, including all my little sisters birth ones not backed up anywhere else also school work, music etc.) I can't afford to lose this stuff. I'm running winxp service pack 2 (i think its sp1 now though :() I'm on a laptop right now for the next hour and a bit, if you need any info at all about my pc i'll reply within 5 minutes of your posting. Please help!

did you have a partition on your hard drive?
if you did and your files were not on the windows partition you shoukld be ok.
woz

If you're reformatting, then the files will be gone. If you're just reinstalling XP, you should be fine.

okay :)! i'm just reinstalling windows xp. Everything will still be there (programs documents etc) Just want to make sure for the last time and then i'll go away, promise.

stick around, it aint a bad place to hang out lol.
maybe we can share a can of white cider (if your old enough) lol.
good luck
woz

Yeah, they should be there. It's just that the entire system is going to be messed up; you have programs which are already installed but there are no shortcuts and stuff like that. But you should be able to acvess your pictures. Unless they're in My Documents.

I think they'll be there, just you can't access them. It'll say something like not authorized. I think. Unfortunetely, I don't think you have much other choice. You might be able to. Who knows? I tried to recover my documents once I reinstalled XP, but to no avail.

I guess i have to try anyways. I'm following these instructions for reinstalling http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm but once i get to step 6 right after it restarts my computer i just get a blank black screen. Anyone know what i can do about this?

Edit: also after i tell it toi repair i get the message "setup has already attempted to upgrade to the following windows installation.... to retry upgrading to winxp press enter, to install a fresh copy without repairing press escape, will installing fresh copy lose all my stuff? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom