Learn how to program

88ben07

Beta member
i am wanting to learn how to program but i need to know what would be best to start with ex. C++, JAVA, Python. Thank You

Well, you have to make that decision yourself. There are a few things to base it on. First, before you choose a language think about what you intend to do with it. Are you exploring the programming thing as a prelude to a serious career or as a hobby? Maybe you've got an idea or two you'd just like to implement on your system. For hobby or curiosity use by someone without any training in algorithms or OOP design, I'd recommend starting with a simple scripting language (batch files in DOS / DOS mode or shell scripts in *nix) or a very simple console based language such as BASIC or Qbasic (No, not Visual Basic or VB.Net yet!). This gives you a chance to learn some basic structures and terms that carry through any programming language and a lot of other things IT also. It also isn't as glamorous as creating a full blown Direct X capable game from scratch, but it isn't near the investment in time and sweat either. If you are trying on the career thing and have a bit more experience and a lot more time you want to invest, then consider JAVA or C/C++ as possible candidates for your language or a second language if you still need the first.
Searching on the web in general can help you find good freeware compilers, editors and tutorials to get you started. And forums can help you by answering a specific question to get you through a sticky part or by providing a good place to search for an answer that is already likely out there.
Hope this helps you get started. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

in the future i would like to have a career in programming, but for now it would just be to get me started mainly and something i think sounds fun and would be great to explore

Ok, then pick something and run with it. Try this site for a selection of links to free compilers and programming tools. www.thefreecountry.com They also have a lot of articles on web design, PHP, CGI programming and things to do with the web. You can also find a few good forums that are dedicated to just programming and cover many languages. Join one and search and lurk to see the different code examples. This may show you general examples of the syntaxes so that you can get an idea of what you want to do. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom