99nasha in the flesh!

99nasha said:
Well here you go, due to popular demand here I am!

This was wing training day and I had to receive an award of wing commandant chitty. Rather nerve wracking since he's the head of air cadets, for the whole country. Well there you go...Ill go post this in the member photos then
Very smart, I was in the R.A.F., 2445109 Corporal Cole R.A.F. Police, just don't ask when! lol

Maurice.

mark thorpe said:
drill comp... i hated those! i had to do a 1/2 hour comp with the rifles, the old lee enfields, their stupidly heavy... and also, doing the guard at traf was bad... all morning practice, then the march in the afternoon... not fun! lol
Heck, how old are you??, I trained with the heavy b****r's, too!, in the R.A.F.;1950's, are they still being used?. one chap on the firing range didn't push the bolt home properly, when he fired, it came back, bruised his cheekbone & gave him a lovely black eye!, not so dangerous as the Sten gun though, another time on the range, an airman turned round to the Sergeant Armourer & told him it had jammed, pulled the trigger, it unjammed, spraying the concrete bunker with 8mm steel jacketed bullets!
After polce training, we were issued with Smith & Wesson revolvers, which we wore in a holster.

The lee enfield isnt used any more to fire. It was taken out due to health and saftey reasons. Mainly because it broke your shoulder everytime you pulled the trigger. Some cadets still use them for drill though.

99nasha said:
The lee enfield isnt used any more to fire. It was taken out due to health and saftey reasons. Mainly because it broke your shoulder everytime you pulled the trigger. Some cadets still use them for drill though.
Yes, you're perfectly correct, it could break or damage shoulders, some soldiers called up in the war, were not really army material, as all men, some as young as eighteen were sent straight to the front line, what the British public didn't know though, was that quite a few had to stop using the Lee Enfield, after a month or so, because of just that, shoulder damage, but it continued to be used, right up to the end of the war, by fitter, stronger men, it's on record, & my own brother, who had a slight frame, went in the R.A.F. as a Dental Technician, but had to fire one during basic training, he had to come off the range, because of a severely bruised shoulder, he showed it to me, when he came on leave, it was very efficient, but a brute of a weapon, both to fire, & to drill with, I used to ache at the end of the day, & this went on for eight weeks!!

Maurice

135791 said:
do you have to have a bigger shirt?, i did because the bloody necks are so small
What branch of the forces were you in?

Have you seen my post about the Lee Enfield in this forum, ever used one yourself?

webmonkey said:
nice, i like that pic of the suit!!!!
Er, that's a uniform, were you in the cadets, did you drill with the Lee Enfiield?, see my post about it here.

I was lucky enough to fire one at the range from 400 meters .303 rounds give a serious kick. The SA80 recoils upwards and you barely feel it, (SA80's have 5.56 rounds) But my god does the lee enfield kick. It uses 7.62 rounds (or .303 inchs) which are massive. I only had 5 and couldnt move afterwards. Its evil...No wonder it was taken out of service. I only got to fire it because I was the most experienced NCO at the range...

I never used lee enfields for drill, we used the cadet GPs, or the watered down version of the SA80

Back
Top Bottom