can a pc be adapted to run from 12V car battery

philip cole

Solid State Member
The reason for asking this is that we have two spare pc which if i could achieve the above would be very handy for when we go away for extended trips. it would allow me to download and manipulate manipulate photo,s before arriving home.
If the above is possible can a monitor also be powered by the same source?

Never heard of that being done, that's pretty original.

I've haven't got a clue, why don't you give it a go, and let us know how it went? It sounds like a neat idea, it would mean not having to lug laptop batteries around.

It's possible, but I wouldn't recommend running it from the main car battery. You would want to get a second one just for the computer. You would need a special low-power monitor, too. I'm not sure exactly how you would do it, though....

just hook up a power inverter in your car, it has plugs on it just like in your house, you can run anything off of it as long as the car is running.

YOu can use the avaliable smoke port or whatever it is, you know, the place where you stick a cigar and light it? My car comes with a power adapter built in (g35) but I dunno about you guys...

jac006 said:
YOu can use the avaliable smoke port or whatever it is, you know, the place where you stick a cigar and light it? My car comes with a power adapter built in (g35) but I dunno about you guys...

Well yes, you could. That's what Tommy Boy was talking about, but it wouldn't be an effective solution for a permanent installation. It would be terribly inefficient.

you can get a car adapter that translates into a standard outlet for around 100 dollars, then just hook up a laptop

Back
Top Bottom