weird problem with my crappy gpu

mammikoura

Golden Master
I posted this some time ago but I never got an answer.

So

The card is fx5700 (256mb) I'm not 100% sure but I think it's made by asus.
So to the problem; I've oc'd my gpu, well I'd say that tried to oc it is a better way of saying it, since I've only managed to raise the core clock speed by 10mhz and no changes made to the mem clock speed.

If I raise the core my screen starts to freeze randomly.
If I raise the mem my scores in benchmarks start to drop.

Temps are
Idle:
core 39C
ambient: 37C

When running a benchmark:
core: about 47C
ambient: about 43C

So it really can't be because of the temps. Everest gives me a little higher temps. Those temps above are from the nVidia display.

So any ideas how I can get it to oc better?
I will try to change the voltage soon, when I figure out how to use the flashprogram :)

I would be careful when using the Flash program.

It seems that its not the temperature hitting the threhshold, but it may just be the components not being able to cope with the strain.

I wouldn't say that Asus cards would be very good at overclocking anyway, as they are probably simply built not to do that.

It could also be the fact that the FX series may use slow memory and so this is why this can't be increased.

Plus, theres also a chance that its not reading the memory temperatures, but it probably isn't the heat like I said before :(

*bumb*

though I'm pretty sure that increasing the voltage is the only thing I can do I still want to know if anyone has any idea how to improve the cards performace.
And I don't care if u are not sure if it will work, just post it and I'll try. :p

Do you have a fan blowing on the RAM? My 6800GT idles at like 5x degrees C and and it heats up like a mofo. But i have a 80mm panaflo blowing directly at the RAM. If you are going to flash the BIOS, i would get an aftermarket cooler. Get the VF-700 from zalman.

Fan blowing on the ram? If u are meaning the ram as in the memory stick ram then no, but I don't see how that is relative.

If u mean the vid card memory then I don't know. There is one fan, and I don't know what there is under it. What does the vid card memory look like?

And I don't really want to buy a new cooler, though they are cheap but I know that I shouldn't have any problems with the vid card temps. I cleaned the gpu fan like 5 min ago and my idle temps dropped to core: 36C and ambient: 34C.

And as I said it doesn't go even up to 50C when under load. (and I think that it's lower no since the fan is clean. And the threshold is 120C.

yeah, maybe it has.
I mean, i've never heard of an ASUS graphics card...

maybe u mean aopen? or something i know asus makes i card or im pretty sure. well kage is right sometimes they have hardware on it so u cant overclock. probaly dont want complaints that it broke or something. if i were u try a different graphic card if u have one and try to overclock it.

ok, thanks to everybody for replying.

Yes I'm sure it's asus. I'll just try to get the voltage mod thingy working next week, don't want to blow it up now since we are having a 24h lan party next weekend, and I don't want to play there with my integrated graphics card. :p

or then I just might get a new vid card soon.

I'd be careful with the voltage mod If it has protecton, it might not take to it kindly.
I'd probably also start to over heat or just die if you tried to mod it with a new Flash too.

Next time, dont choose ASUS :p

Back
Top Bottom