First computer build

RAID 0 uses a method of writing to the disks called striping. Let's say you have a PC with two drives of 40GB and 40GB. Normally a PC would treat each of these drives individually. By incorporating striping, the system would see all of the drives as only one drive for a total of 80GB. Big deal, you say. But there's more.

When the system writes data to the disk, the RAID 0 striping kicks in and automatically distributes the data across all two drives. Part of a file (chunks of data) will be written to the first drive, the next part to the second drive, and then it starts all over again until the entire contents of the file have been written.

What this does is greatly increase the speed of the reading/writing process. If you have two drives on your PC, it increases the speed by about 25%. If you have three drives, it increases the speed about 33%. When you consider that the main task a computer is performing is reading and writing data, any increase in speed is highly welcome. Besides increasing speed, the other benefit is that the drives can be of different sizes.

Because RAID 0 only writes the data once, it does not achieve data redundancy. If one of the drives fails, the entire system has to be restored because all files are split or striped across all drives. Because there is no data redundancy, there is no loss of disk space.

DO NOT GET THE OCZ PC3200 PLAT REV. 2. THEY USE SAMSUNG TCC5's now. I would get Gskil with Samsung TCCD's.

ownage said:
DO NOT GET THE OCZ PC3200 PLAT REV. 2. THEY USE SAMSUNG TCC5's now. I would get Gskil with Samsung TCCD's.
I do not know what any of this means.

kyleman999 said:
just because some of you guys have bad experience with seagate dosent mean its bad all around.

I agree with this because sometimes only one person has a bad experience and everyone thinks that the company or product is bad. And I must also say that I am probably not even going to worry about OCing as I am new to this all.

So what memory do i go with now?

So can I stick with the ram i have now? And for power supply how about the [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Antec True Control 2.0 550W ATX12V V2.0 Power Supply? And will the 4 x 80mm fans be enough cooling? Or should I look for a case with 120mm fans?
[/font]

Back
Top Bottom