Picky PC?!?!

H3123T1C

Beta member
I woke up yesterday and I came to restart my computer cuz it was on all night. When it came back on it wouldnt boot into windows XP or boot from any XP install CDs. It would just stay blank screen with the cursor blinking in the corner. But when i stuck in a Windows 2000 CD or any other Linux CD it would be fine. :confused: :confused: If any one could help me or at least give me an idea of whats wrong that would be great.

specs:
AMD64 3400+ 2.4ghz
1gb ddr 400 ram
ASUS K8N AI series mobo
ATI Radeon 9250
Soundblaster Audigy 2 zs

I have two computers in my house... I leave them on all the time and have no problems. The only time I restart/shutdown is when I have to install hardware or update software. I had the exact same problem when I booted up and I ended up having to reinstall everything. In my case, I was grateful to have multiple partitions and that they werent messed up. In my opinion, restarting or powering up a computer is a thing that you may regret. Although it costs more energy, its better to have something than nothing. In addition, a cold boot (= pressing the power button) puts more stress on your hardware due to the "surge" of power every time you do a cold boot which can cause problems in the future.

well, i know rebooting didnt cause this problem but thanks for the info on that. do you know what could be causing my computer not to boot from any form of XP all of a sudden?

I dont even see the XP logo, it stopped booting from the installation and when put a XP disc in to reinstall it, it just goes blank after "Setup is inspecting the hardware configuration".

Hmm, never had that, but I made a habit of shutting down WinXP when I went to sleep, because leaving it on like I do with Linux cause performance degredation and more problems than shutting down and booting. Booting never was the problem for me, not rebooting caused problems. What may have happened is somehow your system got corrupted and winxp can't deal with it. If you can boot from Linux or Win2k then you hardware is fine and the problem is probably with corrupted software.

Back
Top Bottom