Reformated Hard Drive...Files still exist?

smithman01

Baseband Member
Recently I did a reformat on a computer hard drive. However, when Windows XP started up, I noticed that some music files on the hard drive didn't get erased. What happened here, I thought reformating ones hard drive deletes all existing files and completely replaces the drive files? :confused:

that's the only thing that happened or you didn't format the whole thing did you reinstall windows?

I'm positive that there was only 1 partition available to format which is the one I reformated. However, on this hard drive I did upgrade the hard drive with Windows XP before I reformated with Windows XP. Could that have anything to do with the files remaining on the HD? I also have not tried to reinstall Windows since I noticed these music files still on the HD.

If you reformatted your HD the file shoudln't be there unless it was on a different partion. So just try it again. What drive is it in?

Ok, here's the wierd thing about this. When I reformated it only said that there was 1 partition, but when I look in My Computer in Windows XP, the C Drive shows up along with another D Drive for saving files. How would I just combine the 2? Is that possible? It's so annoying when I am loading programs on to the computer and it defaults to this D drive which has much less space the the D Drive.

Back
Top Bottom