very interesting problem..

habitatman189

Beta member
well.. i'd just like to say hi seeing as im a noob to this forum.

but, this is the problem im having. I recently went to a computer show yesterday and bought myself a new motherboard and some more ram. Here's my specs for my computer.

Asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboard
ATI All in wonder x 800xt video card
1.7 ghz processor, im guessing pent. 4.
1 gb of ram
200 gb. maxtor diamondback 10

When i installed that into my new case that i also bought, ( not by myself, had 2 friends help also) after everything is put in and double checked for everything connect, we go to turn the power on.... nothing. Everything turns on, HD, MB, all fans, everything.. We go to reset the bios, try it agian, nothing. We take out the video card, nothing, no beebs or anything when you turn it on. Take out the ram along with VC out, still no beebs but everything else still turns on. So we pretty much said that the MB must of grounded out somehow. So we take the MB out, put in the old one ( sorry cannot remember what type, asrock is all i can remember) take out then new ram and leave a stick of the old ram, leave in the new video card and switch over processors. We try it again... nothing. So we switch video cards to my old one, geforce fx5200 ( POS), everything that was in the computer before we installed the new stuff was put back in and it's still doing the same thing.

MY friend has the same MB that i just recently got and he never came across this problem at all. I don't know much about computers, im jsut starting but my 2 friends have been around for a while and they know what to do and they have no idea oh what happened..

anyone ever come across this or ever heard of this? Did i install something wrong, maybe grounded it out on the case? Im just throwing out stuff.. i have no clue on what happened..

I guess because you've tried two motherboards on the same system that its a Power Supply issue.

Alot of people just disregard how important that box device is in a computer system, and I'm afraid, thats what seems to have gone.

Its no biggy though. I advise to buy a 400watt for the system you have there from a good retailer, and plug the new one up.

Hopefully all will be well :)

i actually switched out 2 power supplies.. i tried the old one from the old case and the new one, does the same thing...

Hmm... and your sure your plugging everything up to the power supply correctly, and all the leads are in correctly?

yea make sure ur power button is plugged in i got so mad one time if forgot to plug it in lol. also the processor is new right? and u all were wearing anti static wristbands?

I know exactly what your problem is! YOu have a Pentium 4 processor, because this same exact thing happened to me.

You need a 12V power connector. It's like a square that's about half an inch in size, and it fits onto the MB somewhere next to the CPU. If your power supply doesn't have that connector then that means you need a new one.

But that is, at least from my own experiences and tweaks, the main problem. Infact I'm willing to say that I'm about 99.9% sure that is the problem.

Considering I thought I fryed my powersupply, motherboard, and a hard drive at one point because that small square-like 12V Pentium 4 connector wasn't plugged in or not present!

well.. i didnt test the comp. before i left this thread. After i posted i went to go turn on the computer and for some reason it actually turned on, with all the OLD stuff hooked in. I ran it for a lil while and decided to switch cases from my old on to my new case. I hooked everything back in just like it was in the old case and there is no power at all going to anything. I switched out the new power supplie to the older one and still there was no power to anything. By no power i mean i would push the power switch and its like pushing in a dead button.. nothing happens at all.

I don't understand how 2 different power supplies won't work jsut cuz it's in a different case. I re-checked alll the connections twice, all the plugs are where they should be and everything was like it was when i got home when it turned on. I was told to check the power supplies for power but i dont think theres any problem.

** amd athlon xp 2200+ processor.. sorry about the miss-information

Try what 1337DuD3 says. The exact saem thing occured with my system.

I didn't have the 12v connector plugged in coming from the power supply.
Its like a square molex connector but plugs straight into the motherboard.

You'll find hopefully after doing that, the new system powers up

i have a athlon xp 2200+ processor not a pent. 4, that's my fault.

There's still no power and both power supplies are fine. Me and 2 of my friends are completly confused on what's happening.

Back
Top Bottom