Overclocking

golf_addict73

In Runtime
Well i'm building myself a new computer and was wondering how much overclocking this thing would help me out....here are the specs right now..

-Mobo-ASUS A8V Socket 939 ATX motherboard
-CPU-AMD Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939(1.8GHz)
-Hard Drive-Maxtor Diamond Max 250GB 7200RPM
-video card-Geforce MX4000 128MB(i don't really game at all)
-RAM-gigaram 512MB DDR 400
-CD drive-Lite-on black IDE DVD-Rom
-case-Thermaltake soprano Black chassi(2 120mm fans, 1 90mm fan)
-PSU-thermaltake Silent purepower ATX 480w power supply

I only have a budget of around $570...if theres something you think i could upgrade/downgrade tell me..also tell me how much overclocking would help this machine...I've heard a lot of people talk about overclocking but don't know excatly how to do it....If someone could give me details on how to overclock and what you think the outcome would be it would help me out a lot

Well, that cpu is a pretty good oc'er. You should be able to get past the normal speed easily. I'm assuming that the cooling is stock, so you shouldn't push it too much, that is, if you want your comp to last you longer than a couple of weeks. You could oc your gpu, but I don't think that the mx4000 would do you much good. The cpu could be pushed though. You could always go for a smaller hd and get a better cooling system and oc from there. Or get a smaller hd and get more ram, because, no offense, the difference from 512mb to 1gb is huge, at least from my experiences...

so now....what do you think i should drop to on the hard drive......Then once i do that...do you think i should buy more ram or better cooling system(what else could i put in there)....now how exactly do i overclock.....would overclocking this get me up to around say 2.2GHz or more......So just let me know how much to drop off thard drive and then what cooling to buy to overclock it more(where would these go in the case)then i'll see how much i have left for 1 gig of ram

so i need to know
-how much GB should i drop of the HDD
-What cooling should i get(and where would i place these)
-how do you overclock(specifics please)
-how high do you think i should be able to get my CPU after overclocking

Answering these questions will help very very much to make my computer much better.....I was thinking in the beginninng 250GB HDD was a bit much for me so just answer those questions for me and i'll be good to go

okay first get a DFI LAN Party Nf4 Ultra D for the mobo, get a Antec P-180, an OCZ powerstream and OCZ PC3500 RAM. With that setup and if you have a lucky chip it should go to 2.7 easily, get a SI-120 from Thermalright and put a 120mm Panaflo L1A or a 120mm high speed delta. (www.sidewindercomptuers.com) then you should be all set. For ocing, you should lower your multiplier down and find the max FSB your chip can run at. Then run your chip at 9x since thats the highest your chip can go. I find that A64 venices run better on a divider like 4/5 or 9/10. Just play around with the FSB and the dividers and find the highest clock speed.

okay

Definately 1GB of ram.
And get it from a good manufacturer like Kingston, OCZ, Mushkin.

I don't really know why u want to oc ur system if u don't play games, that cpu and 1gb of ram is enough good for everyday use.

To oc the cpu go to the bios, find the cpu stuff and then mess around with the multiplier and the FSB.

To oc the vid card download coolbits.

Get a zalman cpu heatsink and arctic silver thermalpaste for processor cooling.

the zalman wont let you oc the computer to the max. Zalman is made for quietness with efficiency. But you have to sacrifice the quietness for more efficiency. Thats why i said to get a Thermalright SI-120 with a high speed Panaflo L1A or a High speed Tri-blade delta.

if u want to oc it to the max u get liquid nitrogen cooling. :p

Also watercooling is a possibility, but I prefer fans.

nope, they 3000+ has a maximum clock speed of 2.8-2.9 with some being VERY lucky and getting above 3.0Ghz.

Back
Top Bottom