Pagefile.sys eating up over 150GB of HD space

Ryde

Baseband Member
Hi i have a strange problem that ive been trying to find an answer to for weeks now. My pagefile.sys directory is showing up as 155GB:

cdrive.jpg

As you can see the actual pagefile.sys file is 756MB which is what it should be but the directory for it shows up as 155GB. By the graphic you can see that relative to the entire drive, the actual size of pagefile is right (about 1.5% of map or 756MB) but for some reason my computer is "seeing" it as 155GB.

???

I have a 250 gig HD and ive run every possible test i could find to see if i may have a bad drive but they all pass with no problems. Ive defragged, ran the extended Chkdsk utility and everything checks out OK.

I havent noticed any problems related to this and i still have about 70GB of storage space left but i dont know what's gonna happen when my computer thinks its full, even though there should be another 155GB? thanks

u can change the size that it should be from here:
Control Panel / System / Advanced / Performance / Advanced / Change

But I don't think this will work since it actually is 756 already. But it won't hurt to try.

And if nothing else works I imagine that reinstalling or formating windows should help.

thanks daemon

ya i tried that in the control panel with no luck either. pretty weird problem, ive searched every forum i can find, googled alot of stuff but cant find anyone else with the same thing.

i'm sure reinstalling windows would work but i'm not about to go through that hassle if i'm not having any other problems. oh well i guess, it's nothing major. Itll take me a while to fill the other 70GB anyway and then i suppose ill just get another HD.

no travis, i'm sure. total capacity is 232GB and ive only used about 75GB or so...the other 155GB is being seen as a pagefile.sys directory

ah, just trying to rule out the super obvious..Also, I'm pretty sure you can set it to 0 which should get rid of it. The other alternative is to delete all the pagefile.sys files on any partitions that have one. Make XP create a new one perhaps?

However MS has this to say if you haven't seen it already..

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314482

hmmm ya i was thinking that too but i dont know if i really want to be messing around too much with my system files. knowing my luck i'd screw up the whole boot process or something lol

anyway thanks for the replies guys, i think for now ill just be safe and leave things alone

In the virtual memory settings, set a custom size make sure that the min and max are the same... Mine is 700 MB (min and max) and i have 512 MB Ram

i tried adjusting that too...actually i tried setting the max to a few different sizes to see what happens but nothing changed anything.

Back
Top Bottom