256 bit video card or 128 bit?

bit (BInary digiT) The smallest element of computer storage. It is a single digit in a binary number (0 or 1). The bit is physically a transistor or capacitor in a memory cell, a magnetic domain on disk or tape, a reflective spot on optical media or a high or low voltage pulsing through a circuit.

Bits for Transmission

Bits are widely used as a measurement for network transmission. One hundred megabits per second means that 100 million pulses are transmitted per second.

Bytes for Storage

Groups of bits make up storage units in the computer, called "characters," "bytes," or "words," which are manipulated as a group. The most common is the byte, made up of eight bits and equivalent to one alphanumeric character. Measurements for storage components, such as disks, files and databases, are given in bytes rather than bits.

Storage - Making it SmallerMaking the spot or cell smaller increases the storage capacity. Our disks hold staggering amounts of data compared to 10 years ago, yet we still want more. Look up holographic storage for a look into a fascinating future of storage technology.
BITS2.GIF
Transmission - Making it FasterThe bit is transmitted as a pulse of high or low voltage. Speed is increased by making the transistors open and close faster, which is a combination of making the microscopic elements within the transistor smaller and more durable. Transmitting pulses internally in the computer is much simpler than out over a network, where they are influenced by long distances and interference. The telephone companies pioneered the deployment of high-speed optical trunks, which overcome some of these limitations.

Hope this helps. :D

abowlofrice said:
i kno 128 bit is better than 256 bit video card, but why????? wut does BIT do???

256-bit video cards are much faster than 128-bit video cards. Basically it means that it can process about twice as much data in the same amount of time as the 128-bit one.

if 256 bit is faster than 128 bit, then wuts the ddr and gddr3 for??

isnt that also the measurement for speed?

which is better? 256bit ddr or 128bit gddr3

one more quick question not regarding the topic, if i have a mobo that has serial ata and ata 133, can i still put a ultra ata harddrive on it?

okay....just to clarify......ddr is the slowest type of memory sold right now on video cards GDDR3 is much faster and you should get that ATA133 will work with an ultra ATA133 hardrive

Just imagine it the same way as normal RAM - the more RAM you have, the more information can be piled into it and not have to be accessed from the hard-drive paging file, thus the app runs faster.

More video RAM - better performance, providing the card was good to begin with; I've got a GeForce FX5200 256MB, and despite it having 256MB onboard RAM it is a totally shocking card.

Back
Top Bottom