Need Linux!

What do you mean ? RPM is automated, but if you download something called a 'tarball', you need to compile the program yourself from the shell ... don't exactly follow you l3337DuD3

Alright, so I got the 4 .iso images burnt on a CD-R each. For one, how can I check to see if they burnt on there correctly, just pop it in my cd drive? Second of all, will I need windows installed on my other computer if I want to install/use linux? And I'm completely new to Linux, I just read that this RPM is like a .exe, so how does all of this work?

MarxSoccer said:
Alright, so I got the 4 .iso images burnt on a CD-R each. For one, how can I check to see if they burnt on there correctly, just pop it in my cd drive?

yeah I would just put the CD in the drive and try to boot from it, alternatively you can check the md5 of the CD.

MarxSoccer said:
Second of all, will I need windows installed on my other computer if I want to install/use linux? And I'm completely new to Linux, I just read that this RPM is like a .exe, so how does all of this work?

GNU/Linux is completely independent of Windows, GNU/Linux is an OS, you don't need another OS such as Windows to run GNU/Linux. RPM is a package manager popularized by Red Hat, and has been adopted by other Linux distributions. I suppose you could think of RPM as a .exe equivalent, but there are other package systems other than RPM such as DEB or tgz. I haven't used RPM in a long time, but if I remember right you can install RPM packages from the command line with rpm -i /path/to/file

Most likely as a Linux/*nix user you will have to eventually install a piece of software from source, which is rather easy. You should always read the read me files that come with the software, as they may provide installation directions. With that said, here is the typical procedure you can take to compile your own software from source in Linux.

Code:
cd /path/to/source/code/
Code:
./configure
Code:
make
Code:
make install

x0r515t said:
Most likely as a Linux/*nix user you will have to eventually install a piece of software from source, which is rather easy. You should always read the read me files that come with the software, as they may provide installation directions. With that said, here is the typical procedure you can take to compile your own software from source in Linux.

What do you mean the read me files that come with what software?

I downloaded the FC4 .iso's from the fedora site. I guess my biggest concern is how easy it is to install/load onto another computer?

No, the actual source code, Linux is a community where you can get everything as in free speech, not free beer :) You'll have to compile it yourself using the terminal and the commands that x0r515t listed ...
By the way x0r515t, is it ok if after i finish compiling a program from a tarball and install it, that i use the code 'make clean' ?
Hopefully you did check the MD5 sums before you burnt it onto the disc, to make sure that the ISO image corrupt at all, just downloading it and configuring your computer for Linux (partitioning and all that) was much harder than installing it, Fedora Core 4 is pretty renowned for it's easy installation and use, there are instructions and everything so don't worry ... if you are hesitant, there are quite a few tutorials out there on the internet to help you

You don't need all of it when your installing ... but once you've got it working and gotten used to it, its good to read it, tells you how Fedora Core 4 was designed and everything, thanks x0r515t for clearing things up :)

some distributions like Gentoo, Slackware and it's derivatives, ArchLinux use scripts to do the compiling for you from source code, as do BSD systems (FreeBSD, NetBSD) using the ports system. The advantage of source compiling is that you can edit the code if you run into troubles, this is harder with binary installs.

Well, all I need now is a HDD, after that I can start to try to start putting things together. I guess I'll wait until them to get more help. Before, I burned those 4 CD's of redhat, don't know if they will work or anything, I just burnt those images not anythign else you guys have been talking about. Don't know if they even burnt right, tried to burn a CD las tnight and my burner is going wacko. I guess I'll just come back when I get that HDD and have you guys walk me through it. Maybe someone can burn all the needed stuff and send the CD's to me! Haha.

Back
Top Bottom