Hot Amd Laptop

Golden Master
I just got a Compaq Presario 700 from college for free. When I brought it home (Or Hotel for that matter), I noticed that it heats up pretty quickly. My concern is, it'll burn up your lap if you keep it on there for a matter of time. It has been like that for 3 years from what I hear, and it seems like it has no effect on the preformence. I think this could cause some kind of problems in the feature, such as hardware...and such.

Also, if you can, can you rate the preformence of this laptop, if it were back then? What about the CPU? I thought AMDs were suposed to run cool? Or at least, cooler than Intel. I used a Sony Vaio with a Pent M (Bad Comparison, I know) and it ran much cooler. Is this a concern? I belive these are the specs: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/chart_test_report/0,prodid,7501,00.asp

And one last thing. I want to reinstall the OS, so everythig is fresh. What could I do? Can I try to call HPCompaq and ask for a recovery dik or what? Thanks for reading this

Cheers! :)

That wasn't a bad notebook for its time, 900MHz was pretty good for 3 years ago, 20 Gigs was big for then too, But ofcourse Its quite out dated now lol

That heats up quite a bit because well, they all did..That heat was probably less than the intels of that time I recommend using a notebook(paper) to set it on maybe, or just use a desk

Don't leave it on overnight or anything, Leave it off when you arent using it, It'll be better than burning yourself

Funny Story you might laugh at:
I remember faling asleep with my solo one night while downloading something, my head was on the screen It had been left on for 3 days straight before that anyways but the downloading triggered the heat, So I woke up 3 in the morning with the feel of a hot iron on my face, And the gateway logo was branded on my cheek for 4 days!

LoL, Man, if I woke up with a Compaq logo on my face...<_< But then again, it was free, so I can't complain :)

But anyway how was the CPU back then? Was it budget minded?
(Mobile Duron processor)

Thanks again for the responce

Cheers!:)

Back
Top Bottom