ATI pwns NVIDIA!!

anyway about the graphics cards...yes it does look like ati is slightly better than nvidia right now but the difference is so small it wouldnt matter what card u got, ati couldve made a much better card and i dont understand y they didnt, they shouldve made a card that has at least 24 pipelines instead of 16 and thats y i think nvidia will still be the prefered card, im not an nvidia fanboy i have used both brands and i like them both but i have an nvidia card right now and im very impressed with what it can do so overall i think im still going to stick with nvidia for now, i think ati has failed but thats just my opinion

To add what gaming_freak said, the nvidia cards are supposed to be much cheaper, so why get a card that would possibly show a few more frames that your eye can't see anyway for such a higher price. Save the money, unless of course you're rich...

The 16 pipelines are more efficient than normal 16 pipelines because of their layout or something. I think.

I would say ATI is better for now, especially with their new drivers, which like nVidia's 8x.xx drivers, give a decent performance boosts to their cards.

How many freakin' times have I said that the new X1800XT will be better?

Anywho...

I'm glad that a new video card is out on the market. This is good news for us gamers and graphics fans. NOt only is nVidia put into a position where they have to deliver a new, and possibly better product, this could be a new video card all together, a new driver, or something else...

BUt, this also means that we get more comparisions going! Which, at least for me, is a good thing! Because now we get to compare two X1800XTs against two 7800GTXs. Whihc, in my humble opinion is going to be one hell of a match.

Next thing, the rumors...

According to some articles, such as this...

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20051006/ati_enters_the_x1000_promised_land-18.html

Just select All in the Family or whatever and read...

The R580 chip is suspected to be debuted shortly after the R520, and since the R520 is out, soon, maybe within 5 months, hopefully being the keyword there folks, that the new chipset will ne out, and THAT is sure to have at least 24 pipelines. I still don't understand what's the big deal with pipelines...

Also, the anticipation for nVidias card, which I have no idea what it will be called or the chipset or anythign for that matter, will be. So if any of you nVidia fanboys got some info on that hook it up!

All in all, I could careless which one is going to win the battle, as I can't afford either of them!!! But what I am anxious for is the upcoming new cards, and to FINALLY!!! compare two X1800XTs against two 7800GTXs! w00t

Rumors have it that nVidia is planning on releasing a 512MB model of their 7800GTX in order to compete with ATi's 512mb cards (such as the X1800XT and X1800LE). I know someone mentioned this but Nvidia has scheduled its G72 GPU, which will be manufactured using 90nm process technology, to be introduced in early 2006.

The G72 will compete with the 90nm R-series from ATI announced today. The 90nm G72 is expected to have a much smaller size than the 0.11 micron based G70 allowing for multiple GPUs to be utilized on one graphics card through SLI technology. The next generation of NVIDIA's GPU will be the "G80 (NV50)".

I like what this guy has to say when comparing ATI and the Unified-Shader architecture. NVIDIA Corp.'s chief architect David Kirk said in an interview with Bit-tech.net web-site:

"Well, let's get something straight. Microsoft makes APIs (Application Programming Interfaces- Ed) not hardware. WGF is a specification for an API specification - it's software, not hardware."

"For them (Microsoft), implementing Unified Shaders means a unified programming model. Since they don't build hardware, they're not saying anything about hardware."

"Debating unified against separate shader architecture is not really the important question. The strategy is simply to make the vertex and pixel pipelines go fast. The tactic is how you build an architecture to execute that strategy. We're just trying to work out what is the most efficient way."

"It's far harder to design a unified processor - it has to do, by design, twice as much. Another word for 'unified' is 'shared', and another word for 'shared' is 'competing'. It's a challenge to create a chip that does load balancing and performance prediction. It's extremely important, especially in a console architecture, for the performance to be predicable. With all that balancing, it's difficult to make the performance predictable. I've even heard that some developers dislike the unified pipe, and will be handling vertex pipeline calculations on the Xbox 360's triple-core CPU."

somebody please explain to me how the heck the ati cards stack up to each other (i cant even figure this out let alone how ati stacks up against nvidia).

so the order is x850 pt then x1300, x1600, x1800 le, x1800 xt?

Yes, that's the order. I beleive the XT is the fastest line in the X1800 series. Nvidia is like this: geforce 6600LE, geforce 6600, geforce 6600GT, geforce 6800XT, geforce 6800, geforce 6800GT, geforce 6800 Ultra, geforce 7800GT, geforce 7800GTX.

TRDCorrolla. That was interesting. SO in essence more pipelines the more efficient and then the more things get done and so on? Just trying to better understand how a GPU works...

It goes something to the extent of this...

X850XT
X850XT PE (Platinum Edition)
X1300 Hyper Memory
X1300XL
X1300XT
X1600 Pro
X1600XT
X1800XL
X1800XT

That's essentionally how it goes for what I just read some 15 minutes ago.

The more pipes the better because more pipelines allow big stream of data to be processed. Nvidia's latest 7800GTX GPU allows programs with up to 65,536 shader instructions to be carried out in a pipeline, with 24 pipelines working side by side simultaneously.

Back
Top Bottom