Need Linux!

Uhh ... do you use Nero Burning ROM or Nero Startsmart ?
If your using an updated version of Nero and using Startsmart, make sure you select this option

untitled2tj.jpg

Or alternatively if your using Nero Burning ROM, you can find instructions on thsi website http://www.wizardskeep.org/mainhall/tutor/neroiso.html

I want to switch to Linux as well. Only, here's the things I'm concerned with, because I honestly don't see how an operating system can be confusing. If you can read then you can do it, maybe that's iggnorant or stupity at it's finest, but I just don't see how it can be so hard to use something.

Anywho my concern was the installation process. Seeing as how people keep saying what do I do for the install. How hard is it? I mean isn't it selecting the directory, or partition, click next or F8 or some relavent button? I honestly don't see how installation could be a complicated thing. Maybe one of you Older & Much Wiser then Me folks could enlighten me perhaps?

First off, like most people who are new to Linux, you would want to dual-boot, meaning that you can choose to either operate from Windows XP or Linux. The windows disk management tool won't let you resize partitions, only create and delete ... not helpful when most hard drives have one partition taking up the whole space by default ... i use Qtparted to resize partitions for Linux ... its graphical so its pretty easy, anybody can do it :)
The installation process can sometimes be confusing or sometimes can be relatively simple, the graphic installers are simple but the command line installers are harder ... try Fedora Core 4, i use it and its good for people who are new to Linux, for example, me :)

Yup! I'm having a friend download FC4 for himself and for me. I really want to try Linux out, simply because I saw how many exploits were in Windows XP, not exactly the safest of all OSes. That and I saw my cousin use a distro of Linux back some 4 or 5 years ago, was really sweet looking, looked simple to use, and quite frankly that's all I need, something simple and easy to use, and looks good.

But yeah, could you PM me a link to this partitioning program that you use? Keep in mind I need the .exe version not the .rpm, which by the way I have no clue what .rpm is, the equivelent to .exe I supposse. Anywho thanks for the information!

RPM is like the executable file for most Linux distributions, it stands for Red Hat Package Manager ... anyways just download Knoppix and it has a partitioning program called Qtparted, Knoppix is a Live CD meaning that you can boot it from a CD and it uses RAM as storage, the added thing is that you can see if you like Linux and if you do you can then continue ... :)
This might not be the most efficient way but i found it to be the easiest, i'm still getting used to Linux :)

Linux is hard because there are no wizards(.exe) to install software. I thought the same thing how hard could it be but it's very differnt from what you would think it would be like,lol.

Dishdog said:
Linux is hard because there are no wizards(.exe) to install software. I thought the same thing how hard could it be but it's very differnt from what you would think it would be like,lol.

RPM is like .exe for windows ... if you download an installer in the form of RPM, its much easier, everything is automated, you just click it and its installed, you won't even need to choose the destination folders or anything like that ...
But yeah, it is sometimes different from what you would've expected, i learnt that when it took me a day to figure out how to compile programs from the source code ... stupid tarballs :)

Well then how do you go about installing a program? Just copy all the files from a CD into a folder and presto? Or am I missing something?

Back
Top Bottom