Need some help with upgrading

Silent Xenocide

Solid State Member
Yea, I'm sorry, you guys must get a lot of these threads about tips on upgrading PC's but anyways, I feel my PC needs to be upgrade and I'm sure you'll agree, now I'm not rich so I don't have that much money to buy expensive parts, I'm from Canada and newegg.com doesn't ship here but I found a site tigerdirect.ca, also, I haven't ever upgraded my PC before. But on with the specs:

Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name SHILO (home)
User Name MereMoonGirl

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium III, 550 MHz (5.5 x 100)
Motherboard Name Intel Seattle II SE440BX-2 (2 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset Intel 82440BX
System Memory 640 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (02/23/00)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM3)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 GTS/GeForce2 Pro (64 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 GTS
Monitor Likom D703X/L703X/LD7 [17" CRT] (94640446)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Creative SB AWE64 Audio Adapter
Audio Adapter Creative SB AWE64 Wavetable MIDI Audio Adapter

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82371AB/EB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM30 (29 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/66)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8523B (52x/24x/52x CD-RW)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRRW GWA-4161B (DVD+R9:2.4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 28615 MB (5373 MB free)
--------------------------------------------

I wasn't sure what I needed to post so I just ran the summary aspect of that everest program. BTW, the computer name and user name aren't me cause im a guy just in case your wondering.

well looks to me that u need to upgrade every part in ur pc, exept the dvd-rw and the floppy drive.
But a few question:
What are u going to use the pc for?
How much can u spend upgrading it?

daemon said:
well looks to me that u need to upgrade every part in ur pc, exept the dvd-rw and the floppy drive.
But a few question:
What are u going to use the pc for?
How much can u spend upgrading it?
I want to use the PC for games and stuff, and I'm willing to spend money, I would just would have to save up a bit for it.

How much could you spend? It's probably cheaper or at least easier for you to just build a new comp...

Yep! Your flogging a dead horse there matey. If your getting a steady income you can build your PC in like 3 months. Im not rich and it took me ages but it was worth it

jac006 said:
How much could you spend? It's probably cheaper or at least easier for you to just build a new comp...
I could probably spend 100-200 dollars a week. I don't really know how to build a new pc or what parts I should put into it.

We can guide you for that part. First, we'll see if we can find upgradeable parts for that dinosaur (well, eventually). There are two methods we can use. One is to do a major overhaul on that PC, second, upgrade the existing components but only to the point where it is compatible with existing parts too. The first method is best but will cost quite a bit.

For now, I would look at getting new video card. Then up the RAM to about 1 GB.

eVGA GeForce 6600 GT / 128MB DDR3 / AGP / DVI / TV-Out / Video Card
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1182887&CatId=0

TRDCorolla said:
We can guide you for that part. First, we'll see if we can find upgradeable parts for that dinosaur (well, eventually). There are two methods we can use. One is to do a major overhaul on that PC, second, upgrade the existing components but only to the point where it is compatible with existing parts too. The first method is best but will cost quite a bit.

For now, I would look at getting new video card. Then up the RAM to about 1 GB.

eVGA GeForce 6600 GT / 128MB DDR3 / AGP / DVI / TV-Out / Video Card
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1182887&CatId=0
How do I find out what my motherboard can support? I dunno if my motherboard can support 1 gig 'o ram. Plus I think I want my processor upped, 550 Mghz isn't cutting it.

THrough more searching, your computer is definitely prehistoric. ISA slots also gave me a clue. I think it would be better to start from scratch with a massive upgrade.

But in response to your question, your motherboard supports a maximum of 768 MB of SDRAM PC100.

Ok well, I don't think I'm too good with wires and connecting things and such. I had a hard time installing my DVD drive. Is it hard to install all these things like motherboards ram etc?

Back
Top Bottom