someone pleeeease help!!

becky

Beta member
Sorry if this is in the wrong section!

Basically every time I go on the internet after about 5 - 10 mins I get a message saying Win32 Services generic host process has encountered a prob and needs to close.... clicking on the repost it says it contains two files C:/Docume~1\owner\locals\temp\wer10.tmp.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp and then another file excatly the same apart from after the last backslash it says appcompat.txt.
I do not have a printer or scanner attached or installed.

I have run several spyware/ antivirus things including stinger, ad aware se and microsoft viruscan beta (which i have now removed after reading on another forum that after removing it it cleared up the same problem but doesnt seem to have helped). also i have read in some forums that it is essentail part of the operating systems and others that it is a virus/trojan/hijacker.

i have searched for these files by using the start, search options but cant seem to find the exact file located in the same area, can only find a svchost file in the folder C:/WINDOWS/system32.

Please someone tell me what to do cos its driving me mad and i dont know hardly anything about computers to be able to sort it out my self.

Hey,

I wouldn't worry Becky...it doesn't seem like one of the easier problems to fix, so I wouldn't stress about you not being able to do it yourself :p

What happens after the message comes up, anything?
Has it just started happening recently? If so, did you install anything?

Plus, are you running Internet Explorer? (I'm not going to tell you to install a different browser if you are, because some people will)

I hope I can help

hi kage,
after the message comes up u can chose to send an error report which i have been doing and then the internet connection shuts down (although it still says its connected im unable to view any pages). for some reason it especially happens if im on hotmail or msn messenger?! i uninstalled msn and reinstalled it to see if that worked. also have been told to uninstall imesh and microsoft antivirus beta but apart from that havent installed anything recently.
yes i am running internet explorer.
only got the internet 3 days ago and has pretty mcuh happened since day 2! but only seems to happen when i go on the internet

hope you can help!!

Hmm, it does have the capability to be a trogan or virus, but since you've only had it for a few days, and you've been protected before you connected for the first time, I hope... You shouldn't have gotten anything anyway, and you can't forget that, something would have been found. There is a chance if you weren't protected though, that even in a day, your computer could have contracted something.

by any chance does sound go once this happens? I've read somewhere that this has happened on some occasions with some of those errors. So play music until it happens or something.

If music doesn't help, there is a way of errors like that being stopped, by turning off Data Execution Prevention, which stops evil code messing up your computer, though if you are fully protected, and fully updated in the Windows department, you may find your protected enough anyway, though I can't be completley sure.

It would stop the errors though, but its not really approved upon :p

ANOTHER HINT:

Another hint before you try doing that though. Dissconnect all USB devices except mouse of course, and also take out scanners and any other devices that you do not need.

Any improvement?

how do i turn off the data excecution thing. no my sound doesnt go when it happens. and yes unfortunately i was unprotected when i connected to the internet for the first time because i didnt realise the antivirus programme from my old internet connection at my old house had expired

Well, just to try it, I'll tell you, if it improves it, I wouldn't advise you keep it off, because I'm not exactly sure what effects it'd have (nothing deadly, but its possibel more scripts could be ran on your machine if not protected right)

Go to the Control Panel, and go to the System Tab, then to the Advanced tab.

Now, select the Settings button under Performance, and when in that, go to the Data Execution Tab, and now select the second option to keep it on, and click Add.

Find Internet Explorer (.exe) and make it appear on that list, and also with MSN Messenger (.exe), and then if that works, try one at a time.

What this will do is cancel Data Execution Prevention on these programs until you choose to allow it.

If one of these fixes it, we might be able to narrow down the problem, and if it is Internet Explorer causing it. You could try another browser to see if the results are the same or not (I know I said I wouldn't do that :p)

I hope this helps.

svchost is like the core of the OS. Its what allows your comp to go on the internet, etc. I dont have this kind of error often, but i just usually ignore it. If it happens a lot then you have a problem. The best thing i can offer is to run "sfc /scannow" in the command prompt. what it does is it checks all the windows files to see if they have been replaced with non-microsoft files. Then it replaces those files with microsoft ones.

Back
Top Bottom