having 2 os'

Lots:

If Windows gets corrupted, you can access many different files using Linux
More secure
Expirence using Linux
And learn basic commands and such (Depends on the distro)
And of coarse gaining knowledge, you nver want to stick to one thing, right? Expirementing helps you gain knowledge about how Linux works and such

Cheers!

i really dont wanna read through all those so im just goin to say it. With certain mobo's you can choose to boot from an external drive. so if you were to buy one, and hopefully you have the proper mobo, you could just install the linux on to the external

I just tried to setup a dual boot this weekend between linux FC4(Fedora core 4) and windows XP SP2. lets just say after 11 reinstalls of each OS it didn't go so well,lol. I tried every combo i could think of and it just didn't want to work. It might be just me but just make sure you back evrything up.

Wow, what a bummer ...
Anyways, i used Knoppix as a partitioning tool, it also has alot of other nice features, theres a program called Qtparted there which is a GUI partitioner, which sounds pretty good from the ones which run only from CLI ... windows itself can't resize an existing partition, it can only format, create and delete partitions, not particularly helpful seeing as most hard drives have only one big partition taking up the whole space ... anyways yeah, i would recommend Knoppix which has Qtparted :)

dyserq said:
Wow, what a bummer ...
Anyways, i used Knoppix as a partitioning tool, it also has alot of other nice features, theres a program called Qtparted there which is a GUI partitioner, which sounds pretty good from the ones which run only from CLI ... windows itself can't resize an existing partition, it can only format, create and delete partitions, not particularly helpful seeing as most hard drives have only one big partition taking up the whole space ... anyways yeah, i would recommend Knoppix which has Qtparted :)

Next time i feel like trying to get them to work together i'll have to try that.

malbuc87uk said:
Yeah, but that would make saving files difficult, especially as his XP install is likely to be on NTFS which isn't known for being Linux friendly.

He'd need to be on FAT32 on his hard drive, or create a new EXT3 partition, in which case he might as well take the trouble to install Linux properly.

so is there still a way to do it withouth much hassle, since i do have ntfs... im not sure how to create the things that i might need (ext3 partition, or whatnot)

Back
Top Bottom