Help

passion

Solid State Member
Hi friends im here new member

Frdnz i am using windows2000 professional and i want to hide safemode option
due to some security reason so plz guyz u take me out from this problem
waiting for replies

bye

*Mmm, sounds fishy* When boooting, press F8, it'll give you the start up menu, but if I may, what kind of issues are you having? This may help us, to help you better.

Cheers! :)

Also, welcome the Computer Forums :cool:

Frdz ihave a browsing center and i am using one programme to hide the desktop untill u not the purchase a card u cant enter into the pc
some guyz who not buying the card and they enter into the pc with safe mode
tht is the reason so plz can any one help me

Put on a username and password.

Even when Win2K boots into safe mode, you still need one to log on, so they haven't gained anything.

passion said:
Frdz ihave a browsing center and i am using one programme to hide the desktop untill u not the purchase a card u cant enter into the pc
some guyz who not buying the card and they enter into the pc with safe mode
tht is the reason so plz can any one help me

I think he means that he is maintaining computers in a public place. Over at an airport, people have to put in money (Cash or Credit) so that they can access the internet. I would setup user accounts (admin and guest), setup group policy settings to remove the shutdown and log off buttons, and put the cpu in a locked box. That would leave the monitor keyboard/mouse out.

Well ... if he doesn't want anybody to access the computers then he could put a BIOS password, that would solve the issue of security at boot up, so if they do indeed restart, they would still get nowhere ...
But it still doesnt' solve the problem where you are able to remove safe mode from the start up selection list, i don't think that there is a way, atleast not to my knowledge ...

i just remembered something... you can disable the boot menu.

Heres how:
-Copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the OS CD to a floppy
-Copy Boot.ini from the boot partition (most likely C:) to the same floppy
-Go into BIOS (password protect it) and set the comp. to boot ONLY to floppy drive. dont enable any other boot device - dont put floppy drive on top of the boot priority list (it wont work)
-Restart the comp. with the floppy. Remove the floppy after the OS loads (keep it in a safe place)

The floppy disk is the key to boot into the OS. If anyone tries to boot into safe mode or restart, they cannot cause it will say something like boot failure cause its set to only boot to the floppy not the HD. The floppy contains startup files that enable the comp. to boot into the OS. The downside is is that the boot time will take longer cause it has to read from floppy.

Note: You can use this floppy for all the computers if W2K is installed on the same partition.

Back
Top Bottom