best gaming pc

Tastes are no match for price/performance/power consumption: the P.P.P. :D

A dream machine would be:

Athlon 64 X2 4800+
2GB Corsair Dual-Channel DDR437 CL2 SDRAM (2 x 1GB)
2 x 73.4GB SATA-150 RAID 0 10,000rpm HDD's

POWERRRRR!

And my old Athlon 1.1GHz can handle 4 offices apps with no lag, btw. :p

Nah, that's a waste. All the power you'd be wasting, and you probably wouldn't be able to take advantage of all the power anyway.

THe cost is another factor. I don't think I'm willing to spend more than 5 grand on any computer. I much rather buy a new car, lol.

jac006 said:

Opteron's suck at gaming, even dual-cores. The clock speeds won't just add up on each other. The two processors just supplement each other to be more efficient in applications like Maya, Photoshop etc. You've got lots of RAM (too much if you ask me...), but registered RAM is slow. It's stable and therefore good for servers, but it loses in speed.

The two 7800 GTX's will be great for gaming (although I'd rather wait for the X1800 XT to come out :D). I like the monitors...very nice.

PC Power & Cooling makes the best PSU's in the market, but the 850w is just overkill. That system won't even use half of that power, so why waste $400-$500 for it? Too much hard drive space too...just get 2 of them and you'll have TONS of space for less money (better yet, just wait for Hitachi to come out with their 1TB desktop hard drives :D).

I've heard some mixed reviews about those Plextor SATA drives...some say they work fine and some say that the quality sucks so much that it won't even read commercially stamped disks.

The Creative SB X-Fi is the best, but it's not practical considering the price. Just stick with a Audigy 2 ZS Platinum or Audigy 4 Platinum and be happy (you won't notice much difference anyways).

The Logitech MX518 is great. I love it. I'm using it right now and it's just awesome. Although I'd rather have the Logitech G5 or the Razer Copperhead (2000 dpi baby!).

Quick summary of your "Ultimate" computer:

It has good parts but is impractical considering the price. And if you're going to use this for gaming, you're wasting your money. Heck, even for a workstation/server, this is a waste of money.

alvino said:
. The two 7800 GTX's will be great for gaming (although I'd rather wait for the X1800 XT to come out :D). I like the monitors...very nice.

PC Power & Cooling makes the best PSU's in the market, but the 850w is just overkill. That system won't even use half of that power, so why waste $400-$500 for it?

yes i'd wait for the ATI card to come out too. but what do u mean u wont even use half the power...stable 7800gtx's are 600w PSU reccomended if im not mistaken...and urs saying that hugely amazing computer isnt even going to use 425w?

First, you have to realize what PSU company this is. PC Power & Cooling. They are absolutely, hands down, the best PSU company in existence. They are efficient (about 70%-80%, compared to the usual 50%-60%). The quality is OUTSTANDING...the cables are sleeved, all the plugs are set into quality plastic that isn't loose or anything, and they are very stable.

The only bad thing about them is the price tag. :p They're expensive, but if you can afford one, you definately won't be disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom