Hard Drive Skipping? Help Please

edouble2k6

Beta member
This is a problem that has been plaguing me for a couple months now and no one seems to understand the problem, but it seems to be pretty straight foward to me. I have a Gateway laptop and everytime I move the computer from surface to surface the hard drive will start skipping basically. The mouse will freeze up, applications go crazy, I lose my internet connection and have to do a cold shut down and restart it. When it restarts it's always ok... until I move it again. If it provides more light, it will usually happen if the computer is put on an angle and then it will skip again.

Is it possible the hard drive is loose or something? Or does it sound like it's totally done? Is there anyway of tightening it up or anything... any suggestions would be great.

Hmmm.... sounds like something is definitely loose. Could be the hard drive, but it could be other things, too. When internal hardware disconnects like that, it can cause a lot of problems like the ones you are describing. If you have the option, I would take it to get checked out, or, if you feel comfortable with taking apart your laptop, check it out yourself to see if there are any loose wires or other connections.

I'll check it out first... I just am not sure what to look for... I guess just anything that doesn't look like it's supposed to be loose LOL.

You probably have HD problems... I suggest that you download SMART (Self Monitoring and Reporting Technology) software to see if anythings abnormal. I think that the disk head hit the platter and caused physical damage.

That doesn't explain why problems only occur when the laptop is moved though. Something else is going on here.

IF I were you, I would open up the laptop and check to see if the hard drive is physically loose and double check the connections while you're at it. I have a laptop and on the bottom, there should be an easy access panel you take off with a screwdriver. There's a little picture that represents the hard drive. If the drive is snug, get a new hard drive. How long have you had it anyways?

naw, it's loose physically. something in the hd itself.. i actually have it on my home pc.. and whenever i budge it a bit, the entire computer just freezes and my only option is to reboot.

often ur hd will probably stall too, and make everything on ur desktop freeze..

the hd is getting old my dear friend. time for a new one.. or laptop.. :(

Do you mean the inside of the drive is actually loose? If it's coming from the internal part of the drive, it's time to throw it away and get a new one. Nothing you can do to fix that problem. Make backups if you can.....

I think it is a hard drive problem ... check it if it is in the correct place and maybe even the SATA ...

Back
Top Bottom