Video Game Violence

Mental Liberator

Fully Optimized
Alright, I have to write a speech at school about "should the video game creators be held accountable if the consumer becomes violent based on the video game".

Of course I'm going against it, and I just wanted some help and input from you guys.

I already made sort of a "lawyer" like claim that, this is just like the people suing McDonalds for making them fat, and suing Star Bucks for making their coffee hot.

I just want to pwn some newbs in my class. ANY input or help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

I play violent games, and im not a mass murderer... i think all claims that people make about computer games making them commit murders etc, are all 100% rubbish. if someone is that disturbed, or wants to hurt someone, playing a computer game really isnt going to make them want to go out and hurt them. if anything, imo, it would take away stress... not add to stress, and make someone want to go around and hurt other people...

Well I can't just be like "This is stupid, you guys are just newb status" and walk off. I need like concrete information and metaphors. Although I agree 100% with you mark.

i play violent video games all the time, and i ahve never gotten into a fight no matter how much people piss me off.

It depends. If young children are allowed to play games like Grand Theft Auto and Hitman, then yes, there probably will be some trouble later in their lives. The problem comes in when parents don't moderate what their kids are doing. There's a certain age when you realize that shooting cops and beating old ladies is bad, and that even though you can do it with a controller, it doesn't mean you can do it in real life. Younger children are impressionable and absorb everything around them like a sponge. If they see things like this, they might begin to believe that it's okay to actually do it.

My point is that videogames CAN be harmful to the behavior of children, but if parents don't let their kids play violent videogames until they are more mature, then the games should have little to no effect on them.

I 100% agree. I play GTA SA well used to all the time. I have yet to kill somone, or even attempt or rob a store or bang a hoe, or steal a car. And everything they do like smoke weed and drink in the game. I do it time to time to relax, and have fun.The worst thing video games do is keep me busy, maybe too busy.

Alright guys, this is just the first part of my speech. If you can, I would love for you guys to read it, and tell me what you think of it, thanks.

People say that violent video games lead to violent actions from the consumer, and that the creators of the video game should be held accountable for other people's actions. The whole idea is manufactured, distributred and perpetuated by the media. There isn't an increase of kids killing eachother. If people didn't always jump to conclusions and make these horrible assumptions that the media is correct, this wouldn't happen. There was a actual graph directly from the U.S. department of Justice, Bureau of Statistics website that there was a DECREASE of Violent crime rate, from kids from the age of 12 and over. So the media was just pulling this out of their ass? There must be SOME truth to this right? Wrong. The first government statistic was the overall violent crime rate. Now let us check the youth violence. And it turns out that through 2002, youth homicide actually DROPPED, and the only increase being amongst adult. That means the Playstation era (in which the graphics have sprouted to the 3-D area, and would probably be considered more influencial with it's graphic violence, than 2-D mario jumping on mushrooms) made kids, non-violent.

On the other hand, there were SOME studies showing that a small connection between aggressive people and violent media exists. This doesn't necessarily mean that violent games produce violent people. It's more likely that violent people are attracted to these certain video games. Blaming the violent media would be like going down to South Centeral and noticing that many people there are African-American, and concluding that being in South Centeral makes you black.

Actually ever since M games have hit the shelfs violence amoung teens has dropped and is still dropping, so in other words violent video games have produced one of the most non-violent generations yet.

Our generation is too complacent to kill anyone. Everyone is afraid of confrontation. I blame this on the general fear that's been growing in people. Everyday in the news, there are stories of mad murderers and crazy robbers. With kids these days brought up on that stuff, there's always something in the back of their heads wondering if that guy that just cut in line has a gun and whether he'd use it if you confronted him. Sad, but true (especially in the United States, I think).

Back
Top Bottom