athlon 64 x2 +3800 duel core

klivevil

Baseband Member
i have a question about this cpu. online it says this speed is 2ghz. i have a 3000+ athlon 64 (no x2) and its at 2ghz. so my question is...is it 2ghz per cpu on the duel core? cuz i couldnt find anything online that says so, they all say 2ghz.

cuz i am thinking of buying this cpu ONLY if it is 4ghz.

thnx.

It's not 2GHz per core. The entire CPU is running at 2GHz. Dual cores initially weren't designed to have a high clock rate. In fact, they are lower than the single cores or roughly the same. Dual cores were simply designed to maximize efficiency and relieve bottleneck with the addition of another core, at the same time, not pumping out 3GHz, 4GHz numbers.

I think I know why its only specced at 2Ghz.

Its because I suspect, both cores won't be working all the time (Like a Pentium 4 Hyper Threading does sort of), and so, with the two cores, you'll get a system performance of a 3800+ Intel CPU or better, but because it's dual core, you'll feel it being a bit faster because of it being able to run more programs at once, etc.

Also, because it is Dual core, AMD is able to drop the running GHZ (In AMD terms: 2.0Ghz), but still get the power of a 3800+ Intel CPU.

I'm not sure though I'm afraid if each core is calculated at 2.0Ghz, as I wouldn't like to speculate, but I can say, that it still equals a 3800+ if it does or not, and I suspect also that it just runs the same way as Hyper Threading does on a Pentium 4 EE, Though with 2 true cores.

So to conclude, it wouldn't be like having 2 CPU's, as in that case, performance would tend to double if Windows, and programs used them more.

thnx guys but i have one more question.

so what would be better for gaming?

the duel core, or a athlon 64 +4000 1mb?

and how much of a difference are the two?

Well, for gaming, a faster single core will perform better but, unless you do neck-to-neck benchmarking, you really won't see a difference.

Back
Top Bottom