having 2 os'

maanico1

In Runtime
is there anyway i can run xp and my schools version of linux on my computer, cuz i dont wanna lose my windows stuff (hard drive info and such)... whenever i use the comps in the lab i can choose b/w the two when i startup... i have a vaio by the way with two harddrives... does it havesomething to do with the partitions... id appreciate the help greatly

signed,
noob

Create two partitions. Make sure the Linux version is dualboot friendly. Perhaps one of the experts around here can give you a in def information to what to do.

Cheers!

Well.... you don't even have to install the OS onto the hd. Ubuntu can run off a disc. You just have to burn an image onto that disc (linux) and then go into bios and change post, making the bios search for the disc drive first, rather than the hd. Then you can just run linux off the disc and there you go. Or do you want to install it? You'd have to make partitions on your hd… there is some software that will do it for you, etc. Installing is a little more complex…. But the cd works nicely. Or did I miss the point?

I belive your HD software CD will allow you to create another partition, or as jac006 says, you can run off a CD. My personal suggestion to you (Or the easiest in my humble opinion) is to buy a 20 or 30 GB and create the Linux OS from there.

by the way, you never told us what version of Linux your runnning.

Cheers

well the one from school is redhat linux 3.0, although the unbuntu sounds nice id much rather have the option of selecting one at startup... i dont know what much else to say... do i need any additional equipment or so...

when i dl'd the isos there was a disc one(boot from this disc) and a second one... if that means anything

First of all, try not to double post, use the edit button :p
Secondly, I run ubuntu on my computer it's a 64bit Version of linux that runs really well in my opinion... But I do need to use it more oftin :p
But when I was installing it, I "resized" my main hardrive from 200gigs to 150gigs, which automaticly created a 50gig partition which I than installed my Linux on. Now as for double booting, it's of course friendly with that, when it installs it detected windows and installed a os selector thingy for when my computer boots :p So yeah, if you have a amd64 or better such as a X2 get ubuntu it's a great version of linux. If you don't, it's really just personal prefrence.
But good luck on that, if you need any help your welcome to pm me.

Chris

I just tried to setup a dual boot this weekend between linux FC4(Fedora core 4) and windows XP SP2. lets just say after 11 reinstalls of each OS it didn't go so well,lol. I tried every combo i could think of and it just didn't want to work. It might be just me but just make sure you back evrything up.

jac006 said:
Well.... you don't even have to install the OS onto the hd. Ubuntu can run off a disc.

Yeah, but that would make saving files difficult, especially as his XP install is likely to be on NTFS which isn't known for being Linux friendly.

He'd need to be on FAT32 on his hard drive, or create a new EXT3 partition, in which case he might as well take the trouble to install Linux properly.

i was just wondering if its actually worth the trouble... are there any specific advantages? ive always wanted to have it just because windows got boring

Back
Top Bottom