mobos. do they increase performance or are they just down to the features and layout

Fisher

Fully Optimized
i was wondering if motherboards do atcually make a big difference in performance. if so, how so? or is it just down to the features it has or the layout or the ability to overclock your compoments?

Re: mobos. do they increase performance or are they just down to the features and layout

No, they do increase performance, with the type of chipset they use. the most popular ones are the Nvidia Nforce chipset and the VIA chipset, along with a few others. a good motherboard can really make a difference in your pc's performance.

Re: mobos. do they increase performance or are they just down to the features and layout

Yah, I know from recent experience that it does increase performance. I swapped just Mobo's with my buddy (Gigabyte for his Abit), same socket type with my same CPU, but his has newer technology (chipset). My benchmark went up around 20% and my PC was very noticably faster, very cool.

really? well youve just upset my girlfriend, im now gunna spend more money on my comp and get my self a good mobo. any suggestions. no SLI but maybe crossfire mobos if there out

Yes its true, and also of course, the newer of motherboard you get, the newer archetecture your going to get.

For example, you could get a motherboard that supports new RAM, as most models of motherboard at the moment support a max of speed PC3200 RAM, though RAM goes alot faster than this in the market.

Also newer motherboards can support newer processors features, like for AMD it would be Cool n Quiet which needs compability of both, and also Dual Channel support which would also increase performance.

A motherboard would increase overclocking potential yes, as this is what carries all the data too and throw. It also helps that they allow for good components to support the overclocking too.

So yes, its best to go for a make you know is going to do well.

I mean, you could seriously got for great components, and get a cheap motherboard and it'd work, yet, you wouldn't get the full potential of what your computer has to offer.

*EDIT*

I'm afraid I don't really have any suggestions, but of course, its going to be a PCI-E motherboard, correct? :p This would support the latest video cards, and probably would have to be to support CrossFire anyway. Though I don't know of any that are out at the moment I'm afraid.

yup the components i have is:

amd athlon 64 4000+
1gb corsair value going to upgrade very soon
x850xt
35gb raptor plus other drives for storage
and a msi rx40m2-IL matx mobo

really would like to buy a crossfire mobo but everywhere i find one it alwasy preorder and no date to go by

ps how do i edit my signature i really would like to put my specs in it

Wow your specs are good, and should be shown off :p

To have a sig, simply go to User CP at the top of the screen, and they'll be an option to change or add a sig, as well as add an image to your name, etc.

I hope this helps.

i would seriously wait for crossfire...its going to smack some nvidia and then when nvidia gets up for another round its going to lay them on their ass

too right! all that i have seen and raed about nVidia and ATI it looks like they have some really good healthy competition between bringing the gaming world new better products all the time. the trouble is i havnt got the money to keep buying the latest out!!!

Well taht'd just be stupid :p At least once every month, you'd be throwing something out of your computer and getting something new. The money just wouldn' add up, since you'd have to sell the product you threw out cheaper, and since the new product would probably cost more than the one you bought previously...well...you do the math. It just isn't logical.

One good thing though. After alot of people have bought it at launch, the price drops for all the sensible people :p

Back
Top Bottom