PC vs xbox360

Status
Not open for further replies.
PCs will always be a lot more expensive than consoles, so stick with buying consoles for your gaming needs and just use a "good enough" computer for your personal needs, I know this is too late to tell this to you because you already have a damn expensive comp. the only people who really need to get a high end comp are the people who use huge applications as their jobs. like game developers, architects, and so on. so its always hard to justify getting a card like 7800 gtx when in the end you're going to play games, and even the xbox360 is going to kick its ass (made fun of two things with one sentence) haha.
thats what i think.

Yeah, but some people prefer playing on computers, as some games like FPS's have mice and keyboards which make playing them easier.

You also have the great advantage of messing with settings, which i love to do :p

Anyhow though, some people will still prefer consoles, and other people will prefer PC's.

I have a good PC because I do do 3D work, and so need a good PC, though I do play some games on the computer too, and prefer to do this sometimes than to set up a console, because a TV isn't always available when you need one.

NOTE:

Most people also don't have HD TV's.

To maximize the features in next gen consoles (Settings), you'll need a HD TV to transmit the full resolution the console can provide, and do note, that this can cost you a few thousand quid, if not more :p

There, thats a great argument.
You could buy a monitor with a PC that could have the same resolution as HD for half the price of a HD telly, where you then need to buy the console as well :D

you make some good points kage, surely everyone here loves messing with game settings but at the end of the day using mice and keyboards just isnt enough to justify me switching over to pcs entirely, i can just buy a console and not worry about it crashing, or reformatting, or viruses, and all that other stuff. Being a pc gamer (in my opinion) is the job of either one crazy gamer, or someone who NEEDS the computer for other stuff anyways. my problem is that i need a computer for my digital art, but cant afford that or the consoles :(

Hehe thanks :p

I guess some of that is true, but consoles do crash actually :p
If the hard drive failed on the next gen consoles, you'd probably have to format it...
Viruses are probably safe from consoles at the moment though, until we start getting 3rd party plugins, etc.

I do also have an other argument, consoles are alot cheaper than a PC, and yet can deliver the same if not more performance. For example with the new X-Box 360 as said above, it'll be better than a computer out today (at the moment) for £300!!! :p Now thats got to be good for playing games on, especially if you have a HD ready TV.

Its a shame you can't afford a computer for digital art though :( You'd be able to build a good one though for £500 when you have the money. This would be capable of 3D gaming, and would have alot of performance for video editing, and all that digital work.

oh i have a "good" computer but speed is something you can always have more of. (im sure you know what i mean)
and i agree that consoles crash (diskreaderror :mad: ) but not as much as pcs. i mean we hear stuff like computers turning on by themselves, and mine shut down by itself. :confused:

Thats more power supply issues, which I guess could also happen to a console :p

Plus, computers tend to be custom computers where all parts are different, and so programs have to be built for all computers, whereas with a console, developers only have to work for that, so yes, it'd crash less often.

As for speed, I do know what you mean :p But theres definitely a barrier of how far you'd like.

one thing ive heard that the playstation three is bringing out is a USB keyboard and mice. thats going to be a big contender for the pc as the only thing i hate about consoles (apart from the inability to upgrade them) is the crappy controllers you get with them, espiecally the xbox one. its like holding a lunch box in your hands. the playstation controllers isnt that bad, i find them very good for racing games but my main love is in FPS games. i brought call of duty finest hour for my playstation 2 and havnt got past the second level due the crapness of game play provided from the controller (plus being use to cod on the pc) what a disappointment that was!! the games make the consoles at teh moment, such as the final fantasys for the playstations but now the technology that the pc game industry has been pushing for all this time has finally caught up in the consoles and gone beyond most affordable pcs today. they wont have the software crashes of pcs but i bet they will have more hardware problems, they have to cut corners somewhere to keep the price down. they deffeniatly will take a chunk out of the pc gamers market. i say good luck to them and hopfully they will provide new competiton and drive down the prices of computer components as well

"they have to cut corners somewhere to keep the price down"

not really, considering Sony and Microsoft know they lose out on consoles bought. At least Bill Gates knew he was, though he has money to throw away.

Plus, because developers are making just for that one console, and so not for custom PC's, the problems, if any, wouldn't be noticable.

that keyboard and mouse thing should be really nice, its really annoying to have to aim with the ps2 controller, but it almost feels like cheating when you're aiming with the mouse, its so damn precise! then again its fun to aim with the ps2 controller in certain games like killzone

Please remember though that although the XBox 360 has 3 processors running at the same time, only one of them will be dealing with the actual graphics and running of the game. One of the others will concentrate on the music of the game, and the other one will actually run the XBox 360 with it partially leaning towards to interface and DirectX or OpenGL. Just like your's and my dual core processor, only one processor can run the actual graphics and main parts of the game. So it will not have the combined power of all three processors, but don't get me wrong, it is going to be FAST. Much better than any "high street" PC for sure.

I'm starting to wonder what seperates a console from a PC now. I mean yeah, PCs are multi-purpose machines, that have operating systems and cost a hell of a lot more than a console. But I mean, the new consoles are releasing mice, keyboards, optional hard drives, and they already have CPUs, RAM, PSUs, and BUS modules ( a simplified motherboard) and the basic fundamentals of a PC. The advantage is that you can get a massively powerful console for the price of a top end PC graphics card :)

I spent £1500 on my new computer, and yes, for £209 you can have something that will blow my PC out of the water. That's life, but why complain when you can do pretty much anything you want to on your PC for the moment?

Personally, the PS3 will own EVERYTHING when it comes out, and it is THE next-gen thing to buy. Nothing is going to come close to that, which is why Microsoft sped up the XBox 360 for a Christmas release as it will lose out indeffinitely to the PS3 when it is released. Unfortunately, Nintendo are going to fall behind the two big contenders yet again with a late release, especially with it not being any better than the PS3 with less games, and targeted at a younger audience.

Anyways, back to the point. Yes it owns your PC and pretty much any PC out at the moment (with exceptions of course, but the PCs that can beat it cost AT LEAST 10 times more than the XBox 360). It's a shame you can't get all the hardware within these awesome machines for the same price! Then we'd all have a minimum of 3 processors and own any game out on the market for years :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom