What would happen...(memory question)

What do you mean by "a higher speed memory?" Like, faster than it's rated? If that's what you mean, then it will either run at its highest rated speed anyway or just not work (depending on if it's a compatible type of RAM or not).

Well, that RAM is faster than the maximum supported speed of that motherboard. This isn't rocket science now....

Well I have heard of people using faster ram with AMD processors, and DDR 400 is just my motherboards DDR standard. Here's a review I read off newegg:
"Wow!, these memory are the best for overclocking.I got my 3700+ to boot at 3.7 but windows won't load until i lowered fsb to 273
:.Still 3.0ghz is good :D"

So I was just wondering would I be able to do this with my motherboard? I looked and there are no motherboards with DDR 600 standards which is what that review was wrote about

i would think either the ram wouldnt work or your motherboard would only take the speed it allows it to take and leaves the rest....

the memory would just be clocked down to what your motherboard will support, basically you'll be wasting money buying faster ram that will only run at the motherboard's highest supported speed. just buy the right kind of ram for your motherboard.
(that is, if the ram even works)

Yeah, that Newegg review is just talking about overclocked RAM. It's the originally slower RAM made faster with different settings and tweaks. Like Spinwip said, it will either run at the slower speed or not run at all. Just get the max rated for the motherboard and overclock it yourself.

EDIT>> That review is actually talking about a processor, but it's the same idea for the RAM.

Ok I figured out from another forum that it will be fine, the memory is at higher speeds to allow you to overclock you processor higher which is what I want to do anyways. Now what memory do you think I should buy? I was looking at these two

G. Skill 1GB(2 x 512mb) DDR 550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231019

Or mushkin XP4400 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 550
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146385

I have heard good things about G. Skill but I havent heard anything about mushkin and their specs seem to be the same, what would you suggest

Back
Top Bottom