Networking Trouble

gabrjone

Beta member
I am working for a property that has a server rack and the whole place is networked with netwrorking cable, well anyway i got an ordinary computer: 512mb DDRAM, 3.0 GHz CPU, 80 SATA HDD etc and when i go to plug the networking cable from the router/switch it doesn't detect a signal, there are no other computers on the network, just a photocopier/fax/scanner/printer (one of those multifunction things)
help is urgently required

are you sure that the network adapter is installed correctly? try going to the properties of the network connection and turning off the firewall.

What OS(operating system) are you using?

if your using XP then first turn off windows firewall. it usally stops things from connecting. Second run network wizard.

i am running windows server 2003 and even if i plug the cable into a new router the light to indicate connection does not turn on. the problem is not between the PC and the router/switch but between the router/switch and the cable that plugs into the network

if your firewall is on, I don't think it will indicate connection...did you turn off the windows firewall yet?

From what I read, sounds to me like you have problems getting IP addressing information from the network ... either from the server or this router/switch. Do you know if it is a router or just a switch? Does the server or router issue DHCP? If not, you'll need to manually put in a static IP address in the range of the network you're trying to connect to.

Back
Top Bottom