modems

teammojo

Beta member
If you have 2 broadband modems in one house can you go on the internet on both computers at the same time?

Well, I thought of this concept a while ago also. You need a router, you can use one broadband modem in your house and plug a cat5 wire from the modem to a router and then take 2 cat5 wires and plug them into the computers and the ports on the router.

router-back.jpg

Where it says WAN (Wide Area Network) is where you plug in a CAT5 or Ethernet cable from your broadband modem to the WAN port.

The 1,2,3, and 4 Ports are where CAT5 or Ethernet cables plug into from the 1-4 computers you want connected to internet.

You can get a cheap router that will work easily at newegg ranging from 25-100 dollars depending on wireless or wired.

If wired may I suggest this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127013

D-Link, Linksys, and Netgear make the best routers in my opinion.

EDIT-
P.S.- Like daemon said, yeah you could use 2 modems. Also, your internet on both computers will be split in half if they are both in use. I personally cannot tell a difference between the router in my home.

BTW, By above I wasn't trying to make you feel stupid giving you such specific instructions, I myself didn't even know the concept of what a router did until not too long ago.

Computergen,

I have one thing like that, and mines called the same thing, a router, it is also a modem and its this belkin one, i have the whole belkin set and dont use half of it lol

Back
Top Bottom