Graphics Cards help

Cquence

Solid State Member
Hey i have an onboard graphic card on one of my computers. I believe its SiS. However, i want to buy and install another graphics card such as geforce or Ati. Is that possible because i heard if you have onboard graphics card you cannot change it or something?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Of course you can change the card, so don't worry. Onboard graphics are useless anyway :p

Do you know what motherboard you have?
Or if you have either PCI, AGP or PCI-E (new) slots for video cards?

If you don't, simply download this:

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en

It will tell you exactly what motherboard you have so we can do a search of whats available :)

Here is the info of my motherboard. Please check the detail and let me know wether if its possible to add a new Video-card. Thanks!

My Motherboard name is: ASUSP4 S533-MX

i dont know in detail but it syas u got an agp port so u can prolly pop in a xfx 6600gt in that bad boy and ur good 2 go

Does it matter what video card i put in? since it looks like i have an AGP slot, can't i put any video card compatible with AGP?

Cquence said:
Does it matter what video card i put in? since it looks like i have an AGP slot, can't i put any video card compatible with AGP?

yes, any AGP card will fit. Though we don't know what AGP slot that is (there is 8x and 4x). If it's only 4x then I'd think twice about getting an AGP 8x card since u can't get the full use of it.

The 6600GT is a very good card for it's price.

If its a rather new board (about 2 years), its probably going to be an 8x AGP board.

I got a Radeon 9800PRO for my motherboard which is an 8x card, and I'm happy with it. It runs all games I throw at it, at decent settings too. Though the motherboard I had at the time was 4x, but it still ran fine, but maybe not as fast, and a few effects in games were cut out because they took more power than the 4x board could provide (For instance, Need For Speed Underground's motion blur effect). It works great now though (8x)

Anyhow though, I wouldn't advise you to get that card now, but its an example.

I advise you get the 6600GT, yes. A very worthy card, and it'll do you well :)

Make sure you get the AGP version, connect it up, and within bios (del at bootup), disable the onboard video, and your sorted.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom