newbie here

Andy87

Baseband Member
Hello everyone, i have stumbled upon this page. I am currently a CIS major in St louis MO. I am in my first year of school and hope this site will maybe be of some help to me. so to everyone, whats up?

thanks

Thanks all, I have been looking around on the site, looks like some knowledgeable people. I do have a few "newbie" questions. my first question is: I am going to a community college right now to receive my associates degree in Programming, mainly focusing on C++, java, and a little in html, well I have been looking at different jobs that are available, and it seems that networking jobs are more sought after (at least in st Louis) so what would your guy's opinion be, should I switch to networking or stay with programming? I enjoy both so tell me what you think, thanks

Well If you become a programmer most likely you will be sitting behind a desk typing code with anywhere from 5, to 50 other people day end and day out to achieve a goal, Normally this brings alot of money because no one wants to do it

If your something like a network technician, designer, etc youll be out and about working with hardware. you wouldnt be coding anything, you just go around setting things up and managing them

I enjoy programming alot, But I dont like being cooped up in an office every day. So I'm going to school to get a degree in electronic engineering technologies. That'll consist of everything from building hardware to writing software.

Theres alot of possibilities when you go into the computing industry, My advice would get a degree that qualifies you for alot of job possibilities and Go from there. Corporations like to have people that are well rounded in their knowledge and skills.

I agree with Paradox.

I'm a first year CS student, and I also agree that being well rounded, with a broad range of skills, stands you in good stead.

Even if it's not formally taught in a Uni class, gaining background knowledge in your own time (such as learning C++, the ins-and-outs of Linux, or just having an interest in new technology) looks good on a CV. So stick at it and you should do just fine.

Good luck for the future!

Welcome to CF and I hope you enjoy the forums.. you'll find many people here quite helpful.

Chris

How did I know when I saw Steven was the most recent post, and I went to scroll down, that he would say something about him being a moderator :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom