os help needed!

killzoneman0

In Runtime
please help!

i want to get a linux os.

1. which linux os is the best for personal use.

2. where can i get it?

3. also, how would i put it on a cd-rw disc (i have a cd-rw burner) so that if i put it in my cd drive, it will install onto a computer at startup?

People speak very highly of Ubuntu Linux. It's said it's very user friendly, and great for a first time user. Could be just what you're looking for.

You can download Linux from basically anywhere - you'll find each distro has several download mirrors to choose from.

You'll be downloading an ISO file (CD image) - to burn that to CD, use a program like ISO Recorder v2, which will burn the ISO onto a CD for you, so that it will be detected by your PC on startup provided that you've got the CD drive at the top of your boot order in BIOS.

Hope that helps you, any further questions, just ask.

Gentoo linux is also very good, portage is yummy (go to gentoos site for more info on that), however it is not as user friendly as ubuntu. Ubuntus site is much easier to navigate and install.

http://www.distrowatch.com
go to that site and you can find info and places to download a lot of the distros
I have Fedora Core 4, and so far it's decent, I haven't been using it all that much (it's on another computer I have). I don't really know much about it or know how to do anything on it (first time user). I really should use it more. I need to find a good reliable download source first, I think my installation discs had errors and everytime I burn them they have errors, I'm thinking it's the downloads...any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom