Problem O/C athlon 64 3000+

GTA1989

Baseband Member
Okay i just built this new computer as in sig, just for BF2. Anyways, now the thing is my CPU runs pretty cool, around 40c idle. I want to overclock it from 1.8Ghz to 2.0Ghz, which i am sure i would be able to easily. My problem is when i overclock it manually in the bios, the windows gives me a blue screen telling me it shut down the loading to prevent damage... or it loads windows and it just restarts. I tried playing with the voltage a little bit, but it doesnt seem to do much. I have an Asus motherboard with many overclocking options, and im sure this can be easily done. Do i need to also overclock the PCI bus or something?

Anyone that can give me a tip or id gladly appreciate it. Thx

I don't know too much about overclocking, as its the only thing I haven't experimented with on this computer due to the CPU heatsink and fan being standard and so it not liking overclocks very much.

What you have to know when overclocking is its a very delicate procedure, especially with AMD's. You have to make sure you get everything right. If you trying to get it to jump to 2ghz, try and push it slowly until you find out the problem.

For instance, try taking it to 1.9, and getting that stable, and then go to 2.0. You may find one of the values your setting is too low or too high.

So basic advice is, take it a step at a time :)

40C idle? thats a bit warm also when u overclock u make the ram faster as well so that could be the problem, make sure u set the memory divider and put the timings up a bit and increase the voltage on the ram as well as the cpu

Restore the BIOS back to default and try raising your HTT to 220. That should be a safe OC. Keep the multiplier the same. If you go pass 220, problems may creep up as some of my friends experienced with their OC on the same CPU as what you have.

also, what kind of memory do you have? if you have something like value ram you won't be able to overclock a lot. I found this out with my 2600+ and my Infineon memory.

You can also increase the multiplier if it's stable by increments of 1. Yes, memory is also important too. High performance memory like the Mushkin Redline, Geil One, and OCZ VX can push higher voltages but you have to make sure your motherboard can support those higher voltages up to 3.5 V.

the multiplier can only be raised on the fx series, as for the rest of them it can only be put down

Thx for reply guys, i managed to fix it. My bios was like a year old, so i updated it and it fixed EVERYTHING. I set my FBS to 222, getting 2.0 Ghz clock frequency very stable. After 2 hrs of gaming, max cpu temp was 50C. I still need an intake fan though lol

Back
Top Bottom