no boot.ini???

Argon

Baseband Member
Ok I just formatted my computer, but there seems to be no boot.ini. My boot sequence is CDROM then Hard Drive, but I can't get into windows XP without having the XP cd inside. I can't find a boot.ini anywhere in c:/windows, or in msconfig. Can I generate or download one? I really don't want to have to format again. Thanks for your help.

Maybe you could ask someone you know who uses the same version of XP to copy his boot.ini and send it to you

Argon said:
where do I save it?
It's a hidden system file here C:\boot.ini, to see these hidden system files you need to open Windows Explorer click on Tools / Folder Options / View. Then click on show hidden files and folders. Then scroll down a bit further, and take the tick out of hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

Here's a boot.ini file for you.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

You could probably get someone on CF to email theirs to you if they have the same version as you (as in original xp, sp1, or sp2) Then you can put it on there

That or maybe "repair" windows when you boot the system with the xp cd

wow thanks a lot, I'll try that, I just don't know what to use as the syntax parameters. In computer management, my C:/ drive is on disk 2, partition 1. Does that mean that I should have:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)

??

What do you mean by, its on Disk 2?

If its Drive C, surely it should be Disk 1?

Otherwise, thats right.

Ah right, thats news to me :p

Yeah, what you said above seems right then :)

Back
Top Bottom