Video card pipelines, GPU and memory

Half Evil

Golden Master
I just kinda need to understand this. And i will use my card as an example. Pixle Pipelines work as a CPU on a computer right, only on a video card its a GPU and it says my GPU clock is 324MHz. and also when a card says it has 128mb of memory on it, that means its got 128mb of RAM? so then if thats the RAM it, but then theres the memory interface, which is also 128 bits. And that is just a way a measuring the card performance or what? thanks for any input.

<EDIT> if i were to upgrade (which i really wanna do) with my computer spec's in my sig, what would be a good card to upgrade to? Something with 256mb of RAM or even a 512 card?

<EDIT> sorry i need to edit my sig, but i have PCI-Express X16

I'm not sure about the bits... it could be able the transfer bandwidth between the RAM and the GPU, or the number of bits it can process? Somebody is sure to know.

the amount of ram on your videocard is how much space the vcard has to store textures and such for easy access, 128 is good but slowly games are requireing alot of textures so it would be safe to say 256 is becomming the standard now, nothing wrong with 128 i have a 6600gt 128 meg what might be happening on some newer games i might have to many textures so then what the card dose it, compresses the textures to fit them all on that 128mb of space, thus loosing quality when gamming lol thats what i understand of it

all u gotta know PCI-E is 16x - 16 pipelines
AGP 8x-4x 8 pipelines

say you bought a 6600gt PCI-e i think that card has 8 pipelines yet the PCI-e slot is 16
if you bought a 6800 gt that card is 10 with no GT and i think 16 with gt? well all u gota know more piplines the more speed but 8 is still good

I'd buy either a 7800gt/gtx or an x1800XT/XL.
All these cards are expensive though, a good cheap option is a 6800NU or an X800.

Back
Top Bottom