System crashed again

gartht799

Baseband Member
I just rebuilt my system and everything has been well for about a week. I left in the morning with everything working and returned with everything down. At first windows was frozen and when I rebooted, windows would load and then freeze. After rebooting a few times, it no longer recognizes an operating system or my slave drive. I'm thinking either reset the cmos or reload the bios? Anyone else have a clue what could of happened? Everything is brand new and should not be doing this. The pc does get hot but not anything unbearable. I have thermal grease on the processor and the bios did not register an alarm for out of temp. I;m wondering if the temperature although not extreme may have been to hot to long. I always leave the pc running because I heard rebooting is worse on it then leaving it on. I have the following system:

ABIT IC7-G motherboard with Bios 28
3.0 GHz Northwood Intel with HT
4-512 MB Dell SDRAMs - total of 2GB
2 HDs - one Maxtor 80 GB serial ATA and one Western Digital 30 GB IDE
Radeon 128 MB VRAM

Thanks for any help.

I doubt it's because of overheating.

Have u tried to reinstall windows? Also what kind of a firewall and anti-virus do u have?

Actually, I reset the cmos and it works fine now, but I still don't understand why I had to reset the cmos to begin with. It worked fine and then bam, nothing. It must be possesed. Thanks for your replay.

It sounds like the hard drive is failing to me. Check your temps, too, just to be sure that there isn't an overheating problem.

Whenever you install something new like a hard drive, you must reset the CMOS... You have to set a jumper on the motherboard that resets the CMOS. Also, in the BIOS, look for "reset config data" or look at the manufacturer's website on how to clear the NVRAM. It will clear every configuration - time, HD info, etc. and will reset to the factory options and auto-detect and configure devices on next reboot.

Back
Top Bottom