Microsoft Media Player 10 problem.

NLAlston1

Baseband Member
Wondering if someone could help with this. Whenever I attempt to play an audio file, The Windows Media Player (10) delivers the following message:

mwsnap0128fa.jpg

I have reinstalled the program, but STILL get this message.

I get that error message if my sound drivers aren't configured right.

Can you play sound/music on any other program? Or aren't you getting any?

Try going to Control Panel, and going to Sound and Audio Devices.

Then go to the Audio tab, and check that everythings okay there. Or if nothings selectable, you've found your problem. Your sound drivers aren't installed.

kage,

Thanks. I do get sound on my computer - such as my computer startup/shutdown sounds, and my audio files played through my music sequencing programs - but always that error message with WMP10. Besides uninstalling/reinstalling, I just don't know what to do.

Thats just a way of avoiding it though.

I have opened Windows Media player and gone through all settings imaginable on the player, and can't find ONE settings that could possibly be affecting music playback using the program.

I do have one question though. You are using Windows XP right? As Media Player 10 only works using that. Otherwise, your best off getting 9, or trying Winamp like Spank_Fusion says which in alot of ways is better.

I'm afraid if you have Windows XP though, I can't see a reason why its not working, if your audio devices are working fine.

Thanks all.

It turned out that I had to take my system to Circuit City (where I originally bought it w/ warranty plan) for the purpose of having it formatted & a reloading of the OS (XP home). It's a doggone shame that this wasn't covered because - as they now state - only hardware issues are to be considered. The system restoration feature would not work, this last time, and taking the route that I did cost me $59+tax. At any rate, I should be able to re-install Windows Media Player now - and use it without a problem. But, I do believe that I will look into something else.

Once again - thanks.

Yeah, but at least the computer should be working now.

I'd use winamp from now on. Its a great player, and I doubt you'll miss Windows Media Player.
It also plays video, etc.

Plus, theres so many plugins for it to play extra formats, for instance wma, and even MODS (If you dont know what that means, dont ask as you probably wouldn't be interested)

spank_fusion said:
You got ripped off.

Yeah...you are absolutely right about that. And check THIS out: A technician will be coming out to my home, in the next few days, to replace the processor fan. There was NOTHING AT ALL wrong with it until AFTER i retrieved my system from CC. Booting up, now, sounds (and I do NOT exaggerate) ten times louder than it did before. I had also noted that the two retaining thumbscrews, on the back panel, were VERY, VERY loose. It didn't seem right to me that they would have to go INTO my unit in order to format & reload. Well, it turns out that one of my processor-fan's fins broke off, and the fan itself wobbles some - especially on bootup or restarting. My CD-rom drive does not read an inserted disk - 75% of the time - and the person that I spoke with on the phone (CC advantage plan) refused to order a replacement because of the fact that I didn't lie and say that it refused to read a disk - at the time when she asked me to insert one and render the development. I feel really bad that I spent over a hundred dollars on this warranty service plan - and have to wade through their red-tape whenever a problem arises. Yes...A REAL RIP-OFF INDEED!!

Back
Top Bottom