Networking 2 computers...

un4given1

In Runtime
Alright I'm about to go work on my sister's computers. She has 2 that she wants to be able to share files between. No, not just the 'shared' files, but all files. The 2 computers will share an internet connection via a router.

How would I go about getting them to be able to see each other's drives if they're on the same router?

(windows XP btw)

Just map the drive. On one of the computers, you can map the other computer's drive through the Network Connections listing (in the tools menu). Just enter the IP address and assign a drive letter, and you should have full access to the other drive. It will read as if it was another drive in the computer. Then do the same on the other computer.

EDIT>> Just so you know, you don't need a router for that. You can use a direct-connect ethernet cable. Though I suppose you'd need something to get an internet connection (unless both computers have dual ethernet). So yeah, just sayin'....

Okay, so what would I enter in the bottom box?
showimage.php

Wouldn't that be the \\ip.address.here\ like that?

And if it's on a router would I use the local IP address of 192.168.0.x?

I'm not on the machine now but I will be going to do it later I just want to know what I'm working with before hand.

Yep, just like that. And since it's on the router, you should be able to use the IP of the other machine.

Back
Top Bottom