PCI Express expansion ports

EricM

Daemon Poster
I was wondering if PCI Express video cards will fit in the standard PCI expansion slots at the back of the case or do you need a case that has special PCI express slots or are they the same thing?

If you MOBO(motherboard) has a PCI-E slot it should fit through the back of your case.

oh.. then whats the diff between using a pci game card on normal pci and using on pci E cept that E is much better i'm assuming.. i just want a detailed explanation please

Well, PCI and PCIe are two different slots.

13-135-191-02.JPG

The red slot is PCIe x16 for video, and the other three are regular PCI slots.

i know as to that much..b ut i'm saying can you run ur video cards on the normal pci slots?? i mean i'd doubt that.. but i'm just curious..

There are PCI video cards, but they are generally no good. As for using a PCIe video card in a PCI slot - doesn't work like that. It wouldn't even fit, let alone work.

okay thats what i'm asking, cuz i was like WHOA i never thought that could be.. cuz i'ms tuck with my stupid AGP board ;) thanks for ur help

The PCI-e and PCI slots are shaped different and are not compatible with each other. Although they aren't compatible with each other, they can still fit in the average ATX case.

Video cards comes in PCI, AGP, PCI-e flavors. All are incompatible with each other.

Back
Top Bottom