whats up with maxtor?

Lord Leviathan

Baseband Member
A little while a go i built another computer and installed a 120Gb maxtor drive, works like a dream!
funny thing is that everybody that i knew that was a geek, said not to use maxtor, as they were a horrible drive and there have been problems with the warrentys.
anybody got comments on that? :confused:

a lot of people say their noisy, but the barrage of fans in my system keeps mine drowned out. other then that i have no prolbems with mine either.

I've heard of Maxtor drives dying, it put me off buying one.

But I don't know, other people also said they'd been really happy with their Maxtors. Maybe it was just a faulty batch or something?

I think they've been higher quality lately, but they used to be pretty bad. I had two or three fail on me within a few months. I would never recommend Maxtor to anyone, but like I said, they might be better now.

No, Maxtor drives are ok, never had any issues with them, although currently i'm using Seagate

Three of my geek freinds hate Western Digital (their SATA drives are just bridges, and they all say they crash), some other geek freinds hate hitachi, some hate maxtor. Conclusion, Seagate is the only company who's drives seem to be universally loved, and the random hatred proves no statistical significance. All it goes to to show is person A lost everything to a maxtor drive and therefore hates them, person B lost everything to Wester digital drive and therefore hates them... you get the point.

i had a my maxtor drive since year 2000. ATA. works like a charm, 1 month past since i bought a new 200 gig SATA drive from maxtor .. no problems yet ;)

I think the problem is that IT HAPPENS. Hard drives are very intricate and delicate pieces of equipment, and it's not that hard for one to go bad. Like aaron said, sometimes someone has a Maxtor drive die on them, and sometimes someone gets a blown Western Digital. All hard drives can go bad, so don't worry so much about the brand, just don't jostle that computer!

Back
Top Bottom