voltage mod

towly said:
How dangerous is a vid card bios flash? Would it be safer to flash the bios or to do a pencil mod until I can solder on a 10k ohm VR.

well it depends what things u have changed. If u make too big changes, for example put too much voltage, then it can destroy the card.
But u should be fine if u know what u are doing and know how far u can go.

Well I know what I'm doing, but have no idea how much my card will handle but I'll give it a try. If I blow up my card then I'll just buy a new one, a new one that can play the newest games well without this kind of modding :)

is there a way to up the voltage on the ram or is that automatically upped when I increase the voltage on the gpu?

I hope the card can handle an extra .05 - .07 volts, hopefully that should give me the 20 mhz I need on the gpu.

towly said:
is there a way to up the voltage on the ram or is that automatically upped when I increase the voltage on the gpu?

I hope the card can handle an extra .05 - .07 volts, hopefully that should give me the 20 mhz I need on the gpu.

don't think that there is a separate ram voltage, and I don't know if changing the voltage effects on the ram. U could mess around with the ram timings.

if doing a pencil mod how do you add the graphite? Do you directly mark on the transistor or do you shave some of it on the transistor?

towly said:
if doing a pencil mod how do you add the graphite? Do you directly mark on the transistor or do you shave some of it on the transistor?

I'd go with the software version of modifying the voltage. Just coz messing with the hardware is going to be more dangerous imo, if u want to increase the voltage that way u can't know exactly the amount of voltage that u are going to raise, and therefore u could increase it by too much and KABOOOM, there goes the vid card. But ofcourse it's not 100% safe with the software version.

But then again I'm not an expert on this matter, but I'll give it a go during the weekend and then I can hopefully tell u more.

I was reading some info over the cards and found at that its already maxed out in its voltage. Would softmoding it still work or would I have to hard mod it to get the extra volts?

towly said:
I was reading some info over the cards and found at that its already maxed out in its voltage. Would softmoding it still work or would I have to hard mod it to get the extra volts?

Well my bios editor can take the voltage up to 1.8V, which is really high for a vid card. So I'm pretty sure that u can increase it by editing the bios. But if it says that it is already on max voltage then there could be some problems when u flash the new bios. But when messing around with voltages there is always a risk of destroying the card.

I guess Ill try do a softmod and if that doesn't do anything Ill hard mod it. It is possible to determine how much voltage has been added by seeing how many ohms it has decreased, the sweet spot is apparently 370ohms, which yields .1v.

Where could I find a bios for my vid card, and what bios editing software should I use? Also, how do I know what value to change it to, will it have to be a hexadecimal value or will I just need to change the number like 1.4 to 1.5?

towly said:
I guess Ill try do a softmod and if that doesn't do anything Ill hard mod it. It is possible to determine how much voltage has been added by seeing how many ohms it has decreased, the sweet spot is apparently 370ohms, which yields .1v.

Where could I find a bios for my vid card, and what bios editing software should I use? Also, how do I know what value to change it to, will it have to be a hexadecimal value or will I just need to change the number like 1.4 to 1.5?

u had a nvidia card right? Then use nibitor. U don't need to get a new bios, u can modify the one ur vid card is using. But if u want a new one then google should give u something.
And u can also mess with a hex editor, but u can just change the number from 1.4 to 1.5.

Back
Top Bottom